Collie lurchers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A selection of dogs that are all beardie/border bred the first 3 are 3/8 5/8 and the merle is a 1/2 bred , the dark brindle is my mates and does seem to have thrown more to the collie she is a fair b

Posted Images

Guest hunter1983
Gingis Khan is agood collie to have in the breed. but the dogs in england. im sure theres plenty of his siblings about.

TheBoyHealy how big does alurcher have to be to course hare.

AS BIG AS A HARE. :)

That Hector dog is throwing some real nice dogs by the looks of yours Magpie

She's not just a looker either Chaz, she's a do-er as well.

Is she a half cross with Hancocks Hector??

She is yes.

Looking forward to those pics HW.

Got to agree with SJM that little dogs deffinately got Collie in it. Not only is it a Merle but, it's got a wall eye as well.

Best of luck with it Stecra.

Edited by Magpie

Magpie: Those are cracking pics of A. She really is a smashing little dog: mmmmm, I wonder???

Interesting what folks are saying about Beardies being more sensitive than Borders: the only Beardie cross I had wasn't any more sensitive than any other of the dogs I've had, though she was always willing to please, and she was 3/4 Grey, so the Neardie side of things was fairly diluted.

SJM: in my limited experience with Border Collie crosses I agree with you: my present little sh*t is about as sensitive as a lump of wood, which is just as well as she and I have had some serious disagreements over what she should and shouldn't do. LOL Wouldn't swap her for the world though, and she's still my little babe and slowly (very slowly) coming right. :laugh: And very forgiving of my short temper too. LOL

Thanks P , she really does me proud although, she can still frustrate at times.

On the subject of sensitivity in Beardies, I think a lot depends on the individual dog. Shannon my old bitch was totally bomb proof no matter what mood I was in or what was going on around her. She was just a happy little dog that was always smiling, literally.

A on the other hand is a bit different. Any cross wards between me and her indoors sees her heading for the bedroom. She doesn't like harsh word and definitely doesn't do conflict. She can also be a bit sulky at times so we're well suited.

Heart of Wales summed it up well for me, courage and determination. Couple that with intelligence and what more ask for.

ferreting034ud2.jpg

Great looking dogs H.O.W. There's nothing quite like a dirty beardie for out-and-out character!

On the subject of merle colouring in Beardies, as opposed to Borders, I remember several years ago a few people claiming that Beardies could carry the gene and that it was simply that the original Beardies chosen for the show gene pool didn't carry the gene. (Sorry, that was a bit wordy, hope it made sense). Despite this, several years before, Plummer, who provided the aforementioned individuals with their working Beardies, wrote an article in the Shooting News admitting that he was adding merle Border Collie to his Beardie line IN ORDER TO PRODUCE MERLE WORKING BEARDIES! :doh: As I say, I'm only reporting what I read. Can anybody else remember this article? :hmm:

I am currently looking after my uncles dog which is a collie cross,from typp ratcher lines,i had only ever kept whippets,but when he goes back home i will be looking for the same cross myself. ;)

My uncle had this cross when he was younger a hancock bitch that worked A1,then when she passed away tried a few different crosses,but said he had to go back to a collie x as they were right for him,so he travelled to chester to get zak,all round journey of 300 + miles. :blink:

Guest hunter1983

IVE HAD TWO COLLIE GREYHOUNDS ONE WAS A PLUMMBER BERDIE COLLIE GREYHOUND 3/4 GREY. THE OTHER WAS I THINK HALF CROSS BORDER GREY PROBABBLY THE FINEST BUILD OUT OF LITTER. THE PLUMBER ON[E WAS A GOOD DOG ABOUT 26 INCH QUICK LEARNER ON THE LAMP WOULD TRY FOR ANYTHING, A LAD DOES CHARLIE WITH HIM NOW SINGLE HANDED. PRE BAN OF COURSE. UNFORTUNATELY I HAD TO GET RID BECAUSE OF DOMESTIC REASONS, BEST DOG THE LADS HAD AND HES A A FEW BELEAVE ME. THE SECOND THE BORDER FINE FOR A HALF CROSS, I THOUGHT GONNA BE THE BEST DO ID EVER HAD AFTER TAKING HIM OUT HE JUST CLICKED ON THE LAMP STRAIGHT AWAY AFTER THREE RUNS HE KNEW THE CRACK. GREAT I THOUGHT EVEYTIME I TOOK HIM OUT HE JUST KEPT GETTING BETTER, FACKING HITTING EVEYTHING THE LITTLE TWAT WAS. THEN WHEN THINGS WERE GOING GOOD HE STARTED GETTING CLUED UP TO QUICK, WOULDNT RUN RABBITS AT OVER 50 YARDS WOULDNT EVEN LOOK AT A RIBBIT IF IT WAS NEAR A HEDGE, HE JUST KNEW WHICH ONES NOT TO BOTHER WITH, THIS DOG WAS ONLY 12 MOUNTHS OLD ASWELL NOT EXACTLY A VETERAN. Good allround dogs collie geryhounds but some have too much brain for what we expect off them. IF I HAD ANOTHER IT WOULD HAVE TO BE 3/4 CROSS DEFO. :big_boss: