Tuition Needed By A Newby Ferreter

Couple of good books out there mate and loads of old threads here. As far as training them goes collar them up and sling them down a hole ( after you've determined it's an active rabbit hole and not an angry badger set ect) but don't chuck them down too early/young as you can put them off, the books will tell you how to care for them. Basically keep them clean, warm, fed ( high protein content 35-40%) and handle them daily. Simon whitehead and alike have loads of informative vids on you tube.

You get out what you put in and they are cracking creatures and a great sport. The guys on here are a wealth of info that'll happily share with you, I'm only a second season newbie myself but will happily pass on any snippets that I've gained over the last year just ask.

Basic kit needed

Ferret

Slack handful of purse nets

Collar and ferret Finder

Spade

Ferret box

Gloves

Knife

Within no time you'll have 100 purse nets, 2 miles worth of long nets and all the kit you can want but get the basics to get you going and save some money till you can tailor it to yourself. Can't help with taking you out unless you are ever down this way but you have a while till season starts so get handling your furries.

Good luck and enjoy

Edited by Nobby8126
  • Like 2

gaz 1989 is down your way matey and im sure he will help you out read up has much has you can the first thing and most important thing to look at would be how to quickly and cleanly dispatch your quarry a few pointers foryou never grab at your jill at the mouth of a hole let her walk clear and slowly lift her always make sure your nets are tangle free take your time and make sure your net is set right try and be has quiet and still has you can go and net up another set then come back to it if you want look for those sneaky little bolt holes always use a collar and if you have to dig dont go at it like a madman remember your jill is down there and it doesnt take alot to hurt her with the spade and always treat were you are with respect whether on perm or not and good luck and enjoy im sure your heart strings will start when the rumbling below ground starts good luck matey and enjoy yourself

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2

Aye but in today's society folk are scared to take folk out weathther they think it might upset the landowner or they might go back and poach the land , it's a big gamble taking somebody you don't know out

• Like 1

Aye it's funny now but taking out a youngster that you've never met and threw a post on the net can get you into a lot of shit I offered to take a lad out and his mother hit the roof ,I said bring your father with you as well then , but he wasn't interested , I said you will be hanging out with my son I want to do my own thing anyway and that worked with his mum waiting to see what I was like ,but in today's world folk going out killing things isn't viewed as doing pest control your looked on as a mad axe murder lol

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated ?I train Gundogs to field trial standard and have a small wood that I rent, it's only got one warren of rabbits around the edge, so limited supply of rabbits. Also I'm a newbie at ferrets, but I'm 50 yrs old. I need rabbits to put in my rabbit pen, as it hard to get a regular supplier of live ones elsewhere, so I thought I'd try and catch a few myself? If anyone is able let me watch them work, it would be very much appreciated. I can assure you not after your permissions. I've enough on my hands with training my gundogs,

I thought it was a young kid, fifty year old read as much as you can about ferretting watch the you tube videos, if you can train gundogs, surely with your field craft skills it will not take you long to master the art of ferretting

When I was a lad there were no ferreting DVDs cant remember seeing any books either, and the old Poachers I knew would not show you a birds nest, you knew the basics, rabbits in burrow nets on and enter ferret, it was just a case of going out, and the more mistakes you made, you made sure you would not do it again.

Its far easy now, dvds books on rabbiting, even longnets, how to knit nets, how to train your lurcher etc. nothing can beat learning field craft, get a few nets and your ferret in a small box and go a walk, you should come across spotting a Rabbit going into bury, net up enter ferret, then bobs your uncle.

Sometimes wish it was still like this, now ive stop nets, poke nets, trammels, spade, locator collars, spare batteries, probe, secateurs,cocktail sticks, ferret box, net bag, rabbit carriers, the next thing i need is a Quad bike with Trailer. and not forgetting the most important thing, a good marking Dug.

Good Luck.

• Like 2