Rabbit Hunting In A Remote Land Allowed?

Obviously we don't know what has and hasn't been said but surely the "deer stalking" man in Dumfries should've asked if person had shot any live quarry before and asked about rifle/equipment going to be used ??? Quite naive on his part too I think unless he been fed bullsh1t...

Maybe someone could take some time to write or copy and paste from other websites/forums some informative information on hunting live quarry for new and experienced hunters ???

Maybe something the mods could pin ???

Also - zakmuh, you should maybe have a look on buy/sell part of forum and ask lads advice on 2nd hand rifle more suitable for hunting/targets... Get used to rifle and scope, judge ranges etc and keep practicing.... But keep practicing on targets for next few month at least and keep at em until you can take the bull out from every 5yrds from 20 - 45 yards...

Take on all the help from previous posts, keep asking for help and tips...

Stay away from any live quarry though fella...

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck me it never ceases to amaze me why new starters dont take any notice of us and go and buy a fecking cheep useless peace of crap   BUY CHEEP BUY TWICE end of   Listen if your wanting to shoot

Welcome and no, you still need permission. Also pheasants are subject to closed seasons.

The only thing that I can add to this advice is that if you were shooting on said types of land it would give all the types of people that don't like this sport more amo to get it stopped all together

Posted Images

Get say,d rifle

go to car

put rifle in car boot

drive to nearest recycle center

get rifle out of boot

walk over to skip

take rifle by the barrel in both hands

hold it up above your head

smash rifle on side of skip

then throw it into the skip

get back in car

and go to gun shop

and buy a proper rifle

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

Obviously we don't know what has and hasn't been said but surely the "deer stalking" man in Dumfries should've asked if person had shot any live quarry before and asked about rifle/equipment going to be used ??? Quite naive on his part too I think unless he been fed bullsh1t...

Maybe someone could take some time to write or copy and paste from other websites/forums some informative information on hunting live quarry for new and experienced hunters ???

Maybe something the mods could pin ???

Also - zakmuh, you should maybe have a look on buy/sell part of forum and ask lads advice on 2nd hand rifle more suitable for hunting/targets... Get used to rifle and scope, judge ranges etc and keep practicing.... But keep practicing on targets for next few month at least and keep at em until you can take the bull out from every 5yrds from 20 - 45 yards...

Take on all the help from previous posts, keep asking for help and tips...

Stay away from any live quarry though fella...

Every forum has stickies and numerous threads about these subjects but newcomers don't seem to find them. BASC have everything in simple English. I've pointed out the law on various threads on here and other forums and got abuse for it from people who think the law(and common sense) doesn't apply to them. Mac will testify to that! I think some education at the point of sale would be better, maybe a booklet containing the basic rules and general advice that should be signed for and agreed by the person buying the rifle. I don't like the idea of a licence but it will come eventually because of airgunners who either don't know or don't care.

I can bud i can iv warned loads of new lads that you will come along and tell them off lol

and you have told me to on a few occasions :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2: to :laugh:

atvb mate,mac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

That gentlemen said that my gun isnt powerfull enough to kill but bruise them and I would need a 22 one if I want to kill a rabbit. Is he refering to .22 calibre rifle? Should I get a PCP or Co2 one?

The link use in this post? Umarex Ruger Blackhawk .177? Anyone know its spec? All I have found points to a FAC air rifle, so probably unsuitable?

Edited by David Aiken

Thanks everyone. I find every reply a good piece of friendly advice :)

One step at a time.....The very first thing I did even before touching the rifle was getting the FAC info from firearm department. Then I did loads of Youtube and google search to know about rifle and rabbit/pigeon shooting. Then I went and bought the rifle and practised to 10, 20 and 30 yards shooting following the advice from this and some other forums and thats why I think I managed to target and hit all four rabbits (though it wasnt a kill). So now what I understand from you all are saying is that either a 177 or 22 is good enough to kill a rabbit but the killing power depends on a good quality rifle. I should be looking at at least £500 for a perfect hunting I guess.

bigmac 97kt, huge thanks for the list of rifles ;). All these are PCPs. So can I take springers are not good for hunting?

Cheers

Edited by zakmuh
  • Like 1

That gentlemen said that my gun isnt powerfull enough to kill but bruise them and I would need a 22 one if I want to kill a rabbit. Is he refering to .22 calibre rifle? Should I get a PCP or Co2 one?

The link use in this post? Umarex Ruger Blackhawk .177? Anyone know its spec? All I have found points to a FAC air rifle, so probably unsuitable?

It advertised as "full power"

I just don't think the guy can shoot, he needs more practice.

http://www.sportsguns.co.uk/bargains/rugerered-1.html

Thanks everyone. I find every reply a good piece of friendly advice :)

One step at a time.....The very first thing I did even before touching the rifle was getting the FAC info from firearm department. Then I did loads of Youtube and google search to know about rifle and rabbit/pigeon shooting. Then I went and bought the rifle and practised to 10, 20 and 30 yards shooting following the advice from this and some other forums and thats why I think I managed to target and hit all four rabbits (though it wasnt a kill).

So can I take springers are not good for hunting?

Cheers

I think you need to do a hell of a lot more practicing and research but on targets only and maybe try just sticking to one forum like THL (here), ask plenty questions, do plenty reading and take on board what very experienced people are telling you...

Springers are cracking for hunting though possibly a little on the heavier side to carry about all day/night...

Look out for the big brand names - weirach, Webley, air arms, BSA and the likes...

Well built and made rifles more than capable of doing the job when the time comes but you need to stay away from live quarry for a good few month and just put tin after tin of pellets through card targets until 100% bullseye at all ranges...

As been said before, try and find a rifle range close to your area and spend every spare hour up there practicing, learning and gettibg to grips with rifle, pellets, distance etc...

Springers are a cracking tool in the right hands and if you practice and keep practicing with it

just look at pianoman he is a legend with a spring rifle on live targets and range targets

i to hunt with both pcp and spring

and just because it say,s full power dose not mean it is

and the top half of the list are pcp rifles up to where it say,s springers then the rest are spring rifles

the rifle is just part of the kit ,scopes , you need a good scope to go on the rifle like mtc, and so on

The difference between a £120 rifle and a £500 rifle is

cheep ones are just throwen together and then sent out the door for sale

good ones are put together a lot better more accurate and often with better parts and barrels

and will last a life time

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

I would like to close this topic with the following conclusion:

Looking for a land to shoot just one rabbit in Highlands, there is no common land;most of them are owned by estates like Dunecht Estates, Coolin Hills Estates etc and most of them have agreement with shooting sports agents like Roxton, Dunmhor, Bell Ingram etc. Therefore it has to be done through these agents for the price ranging from £50 to £200 per day (higher price for deer hunting though). Cairngorms National Park helped me enormously to find these estate agents to get permission. Driving 1350 miles, approaching around 30 odd farmers for permission, only 2 let me in.

Next time I would definitely go with one of the above mentioned agents for a peace of mind :)

Cheers

It advertised as "full power"

I just don't think the guy can shoot, he needs more practice.

http://www.sportsguns.co.uk/bargains/rugerered-1.html

It says 1000 fps, if he used 8.4 grain then this rifle is 18.66 ft lbs so a FAC rifle and probably not sutable

Well I didn't go only for hunting; it was part of my annual Highlands road trip. I think I spent Á £150 on fuel (Pug 206 1.6). I tried in Notts for rabbits but had no luck. Maybe I didnt try enough.

David, the gun shop guy told me it's 11 ft lbs. I even cheked with Notts firearm depratment and they confirm that I dont need FAC for this range rifles. Now Ive exchanged that Ruger rifle with Hatson 900x 177. Hatson's wood feels nice and it shoots excellent.

Cheers

Hatson 900X (£129 local dealer): http://www.sportsguns.co.uk/bargains/hatsssdfgsd-1.html

Edited by zakmuh