Should I Trade In My .223 For A .204Or 20 Tac ?????????

Been thinking of a .204 or 20tac for a long time now

Yes a 20tac is a better round

But seem to find for atuff for the .204 like brass and load data

Has anyone got one or shot them?

Edited by GEOFF.223

A better round for what, is a .308 a better round than a .22lr; is a HMR a better round than a .243.

No is the answer, they are different, and for what they ALL excel at, they are each the best!

Only you can decide if you need/want/can justify, a change from your .223!

:thumbs:

Looked up ballistic profiles and the .204 is rather flat out to 450yards compared to .224 rounds .222 .223 .22 250 etc

This is whats pushing me towards the .20s

I dial in alot of shoot out to around 400yards and i think i could be more accurate with a .20 than a .22

Jesus christ walshie you have thrown a spanner in the works the pal gueas im gonna habe to keep the old howa heavy barrel

yes i have a howa to im not poor

Its been bedded wwth devcon metal putty industrial type used for bedding cruise liner engines

Trigger beens polish and breaks at 1.6pounds

Firatvday i took it to a 300m range it out shot every other rifle

5 shot 1.7" group at 300meters for a howa not bad at all my mate never offered to take me back after that :(

Looked up ballistic profiles and the .204 is rather flat out to 450yards compared to .224 rounds .222 .223 .22 250 etc

This is whats pushing me towards the .20s

I dial in alot of shoot out to around 400yards and i think i could be more accurate with a .20 than a .22

With a ridiculous zero maybe or a light bullet.

However, zeroe'd at 200yds, it's good for 300 yds not 400yds. 400yds is a 13 inch drop with superformance ammo:

http://www.hornady.com/store/204-Ruger-40-gr-V-MAX/

Maybe you looked at 35gr, but there have been reported splash issues with ammo below 40gr's.

TBH, there's very little difference between a 40gr 204 and 53gr .223 (both v max superperfomance):

http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-53-gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

.and .22-250 50gr matches it with more energy.

..as does .243:

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-558gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

Im in northern ireland so im limited to only .22 and below sized bullets

A 40gr .204 drops 1.5 inches less than a

50gr .22 250 at 400yards

Also as i reload i will save money on powder as the 22 250 uses more.

The .20 cals seem to be more accurate than other size rounds under 500yards.

Yes i understand that your saying there is not a mager difference but

Little recoil

Cheaper to reload

very accurate hopefully

Yea buts it's nice to here others opinions

have a max budget of £1000 for a scope to put on the .20 if and [BANNED TEXT] I get it.

There so many to choose from don't now we're to start really like the swaroski scopes but there a little over my budget of a grand as I want one with target turrets

Hi Geoff, Sold my .223 about 9 month ago, and got myself a 204 ( Howa ). Having shot both i think the 204 is more accurate than .223 with the correct bullet, and is more fun to shoot with greatly reduced recoil you can actually see bullets strike the target !! i am very happy with my decision so no regrets, shot a few fox and rabbits out to 320 Yds no runners yet.... i use vit powder with sierra 32 & 39 heads cci primers no complaints.. Just fitted a Steiner scope to mine and well happy with it ---if you are after a long range target scope i may be selling my Falcon menace 5-25 x 56 or a Nikon prostaff 3-9 x 50 BDC scope for hunting..

Good Luck.

LD

Sorry mate, just seen that you have £1000 budget for scope so you will be better off going up market :yes:

Cheers

Edited by Lewdan

Cheers lewdan

Did u ever notice did ur barrel heat up faster with .204 because of the higher speed?

Not that i have noticed, certainly no worse than the 223 but i have never loaded above stated reloading values with the 32gn head i am running about 3800 ft/sec and i know these can be loaded well over 4000ft/sec.

i,m sure he wont mind me saying , but if you want info regarding the 204 "andys410c" on this site would be the guy to contact, he has mailed me his mob number to have a chat but unfortunately not had a chance to do it yet...Dont think it wise to pass on his number but pm him..

LD