Airedales As Gundogs

I very much doubt you'll have any joy fella. About 18 months back I was seriously considering getting a working bred airedale and spoke to Ian about it. He hadn't bred a litter in years and was very disappointed that the vast majority of the pups he'd bred had not ended up being worked or properly tested. He was pretty scathing about most of the people who'd had pups. He said he'd only consider breeding again if he was certain he could find sensible, reliable people to have the pups. But before he could even think about that he was trying to move down south and wouldn't even consider it until then. I've not been in touch with him since then so don't know if he ever moved or not. But the trouble is that all his stock are getting old now - I doubt any of his airedales are younger than about 9 or 10, possibly older than that. He used to come on here a bit but no idea if he still does - jrearthdog

There was a lad from Ireland who was very keen on trying to get a line of working airedales established. He uses them a lot for tracking wounded deer. He posted quite a bit on here about 18 months ago, but I can't remember his username. Somebody else reading this might be able to though. (Or just search this site for any mention of airedales and you'll eventually find him). I think you're more likely to find something through him than through Ian to be honest. Good luck in your search....

• Like 1

OK, I poked about a bit and came up with the Irish lad - it's foxhound45, but he's not been on here since December last year. Worth sending him a pm though in case he's got things set up so it'll go through to his email...

i took two from ian down to clive rees in wales he was intending to run them with his hounds

And he never did - that was one of the things that really hacked Ian off

I have spoke to Ian some time back and can confirm,what Krawnden is saying the guy is a sound bloke, who has had his share of problems,and as far as I am aware he has now moved down south, all his dogs were bred right, and I know one guy who uses his, for what it was intended to be used for and loves it,he says the dog will do anything he needs of it, this dog was bred by Ian,

airedale0001_zps129ec82f.jpg

all Ian wanted to do was to re-establish the hunting strain of the Dog back, into its country of origin the guy really is worth speaking to a good solid bloke,who has a real love of the breed,I myself, keep wanting to try one I have researched them and in my opinion, they would make a good all rounder in America they are used for all sorts of different aspects of the sport, its a real shame.

• Like 1

OK, I poked about a bit and came up with the Irish lad - it's foxhound45, but he's not been on here since December last year. Worth sending him a pm though in case he's got things set up so it'll go through to his email...

I know foxhound45, yes he did keep Airedales had a few nice ones I don't know much about them but he did have one or two redline bred Airedales. He used them for a variety of things mostly deer tracking but unfortunately since having to relocate a substantial distance through change of job the dogs all had to be rehomed and the plans stopped there. Atb

i took two from ian down to clive rees in wales he was intending to run them with his hounds

I have spoke to Ian some time back and can confirm,what Krawnden is saying the guy is a sound bloke, who has had his share of problems,and as far as I am aware he has now moved down south, all his dogs were bred right, and I know one guy who uses his, for what it was intended to be used for and loves it,he says the dog will do anything he needs of it, this dog was bred by Ian,

all Ian wanted to do was to re-establish the hunting strain of the Dog back, into its country of origin the guy really is worth speaking to a good solid bloke,who has a real love of the breed,I myself, keep wanting to try one I have researched them and in my opinion, they would make a good all rounder in America they are used for all sorts of different aspects of the sport, its a real shame.

Couldn't agree more Darren about them having the potential as a great allrounder. But sadly unless somebody imports afresh from the States I don't see any future for the real working airedale in this country.

I know foxhound45, yes he did keep Airedales had a few nice ones I don't know much about them but he did have one or two redline bred Airedales. He used them for a variety of things mostly deer tracking but unfortunately since having to relocate a substantial distance through change of job the dogs all had to be rehomed and the plans stopped there. Atb

Sorry to hear that

Couldn't agree more Darren about them having the potential as a great allrounder. But sadly unless somebody imports afresh from the States I don't see any future for the real working airedale in this country.
I would hope there is still hope, it needs hunting shooting people to pick up the challenge, and not the profiteering kennel club types, and I think that's what Ian tried to achieve, and respect to him he had a good go,