Improving A Dogs Strike?

I am working hard to spend a lot of time with the dog (11 months) and show her what I can, she is missing a hell of a lot, the last one tonight, she just didn't seem to be striking, it ran clean under her.

She has had one on the lamp, after a lot of missed attempts, a couple of mixy rabbits a small hamster sized rabbit and randomly a mole, so it isn't she is just chasing and not wanting to catch.

Its 11 months old,at that age they are learning how to adapt to running at pace,turning,coming to terms with the ground and attempting to strike.Each and every gallop learns them another lesson that helps to put the percentages in their favour.Even so id be a tad worried if an 11 month old was missing bunnys that had a way to run for safety.
  • Like 1

I am working hard to spend a lot of time with the dog (11 months) and show her what I can, she is missing a hell of a lot, the last one tonight, she just didn't seem to be striking, it ran clean under her.

She has had one on the lamp, after a lot of missed attempts, a couple of mixy rabbits a small hamster sized rabbit and randomly a mole, so it isn't she is just chasing and not wanting to catch.

Its 11 months old,at that age they are learning how to adapt to running at pace,turning,coming to terms with the ground and attempting to strike.Each and every gallop learns them another lesson that helps to put the percentages in their favour.Even so id be a tad worried if an 11 month old was missing bunnys that had a way to run for safety.

Nothing better than the real thing to learn from, they soon learn from past mistakes and correct them.

• Like 1

Cheers all, I knocked up a flirt pole and that seems to work. I wouldn't have asked but a few times it happened, I came up with another one in the pub garden; rolling a 10' dia rubber ring at speed.

I'll try and get a vid of what she is doing.

She's a smart little bitch mate.good luck with her but I don't think you will need it.I no you put time in to your dogs.and they will repay you ..terrier is looking well too mate.I to like my terriers.

Cheers, I have to admit I have a terrier that doesn't like cover :tongue2: unless she is physically chasing something, but they'll come good with next season, I am farm sitting the last week in July for a week, and there is alsorts knocking around there from rats to deer so should be some good nature watching :D

LOL no I don't get many round my way, I have seen 3 roe in 30 years and a handful of muntjac, but you can hear a lot of muntjac at night and see where they go in the day. There are more hares here than 90% of Leicestershire, but obviously these are just to be watched as it is summer and it's illegal, enough rabbits and rats for a good laugh though.

• Like 1

Some dogs are born with great eye to mouth coordination. Others have to learn it. My OH's old dog was pretty useless for the first half of his first season. Miss after miss after miss. He stuck with the dog, and in his second season he came really good.

Cheers, I have been reading some blogs and other stuff, it does appear there are two kinds of dog starting, and as you said they usually come good, hopefully get her going well by the end of this season

LOL I think that is the case with a lot of dogs, I have been using a solid rubber ring about 10" in dimater and rolling it out as fast as I can along the grass. She has one from stopping her head over the top of it, to making contact with the occasional catch, I'll just keep playin games like that and slip her on the odd easy rabbit in the lamp.