Beagles

Their is a vid on you tube of a pack of beagles tracking a bunny through fairly tight cover. I think it's in spain and by the look of the vid they do a pretty good job, they even manage to catch the bunny in the thick. Its called beagles running to catch rabbits and it's just over 12mins long. atb fella.

Edited by day and night walker

We have a fair few bushers between the lads I go out with and my mates beagle is the best of the lot not that I'd admit that to him mind haha, she's only a small type but fair play she covers some ground the only trouble is getting the little b*****d back

Guest foxpack

Beagles love to track and have a excellent nose for tracking over vast areas.they will hunt rabbits but will Hoover all scent up well after rabbit has left cover etc.that's why hares were there chosen quarry for longer hunts etc.we have some xes and I like the beagle x spaniels.they will push fox out of big spots true .but will also bush rabbits fast and hard like the spaniels.we have had few full beagles that have been good bushers ,some of them were bad heads due to there ignarance.in my opinion mongrilised beagle mix is the 1;s for our pack.

• Like 5
Guest foxpack

Beagle x spaniel be it cocker or Springer are better recall imo than terrier x beagle.as most terriers can be stubborn twats to.maybe not everyone's view .but defo mine after owning both type's.but my little rough coated dog is very obedient .can shout him out of big earths etc.

• Like 1
Guest foxpack

Would be interesting.size would be the thing I would be bothered with.be nice if they greafted hard and listened and performed like sheep dog ..waited out side woods while u went other end with dog .gun..lol

Lol my collie bitch bushes like a spaniel into everything nettles brambles the lot for rabbits. Great ferreting dog and not scared of teeth either. Even managed to stock train her and she came from a hill farm hahah

Lol my collie bitch bushes like a spaniel into everything nettles brambles the lot for rabbits. Great ferreting dog and not scared of teeth either. Even managed to stock train her and she came from a hill farm hahah

Two old mates who've "done a bit" by anybody's standards, both rate the collie x labs they used as kids rabbiting very highly, different bitches, in different decades, so random bred, one's a well known terrier man, and the other lads well known for lurchers, but they both kept Springers for over 30 years, so i know what the collie x labs are being judged against, and they still rate the collie/lab.

• Like 2

Two old mates who've "done a bit" by anybody's standards, both rate the collie x labs they used as kids rabbiting very highly, different bitches, in different decades, so random bred, one's a well known terrier man, and the other lads well known for lurchers, but they both kept Springers for over 30 years, so i know what the collie x labs are being judged against, and they still rate the collie/lab.

i knew a lad back in the early 80s who had 2 collie/lab bitches great markers worked well with ferrets and nets. used to work old railway bankings waste land etc flushed plenty for the lurchers caught a suprising amount of stuff on land a lot of poeple would not look at. :thumbs:

i knew a lad back in the early 80s who had 2 collie/lab bitches great markers worked well with ferrets and nets. used to work old railway bankings waste land etc flushed plenty for the lurchers caught a suprising amount of stuff on land a lot of poeple would not look at. :thumbs:

We worked some of the worst land you could imagine when we were kids, places we would avoid like the plague now tbh, but the mongrels took it in their stride, anything with a bit of collie or lab was a safe bet, never saw the vets :thumbs: I set off with a mongrel scrounger and a grew type thing borrowed off a grandma, and then moved on to terriers and the odd proper lurcher, 42 years later im back to a mongrel scrounger and a slowish, mongrel lurcher, never been happier tbh ;)

• Like 5
Guest foxpack

Excellent and no truer word .Mongel bushing dog and mongrel lurcher .both best in both worlds.had a lot of decent lurchers but only 2 toppers both proper mongrels .had some good bushers .but best have been sumthing out of everything.

• Like 2