Old Lures....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure we've all got the odd lure that we keep for sentimental reasons. This lure in the photo is over 25 years old and it's given me some great memories, though I wouldn't use it today in case I lo

I have a abu toby spoon that my dad got me the first time he took me to scotland, around 83-84 it's nothing special but dad died ten year's ago so i just can't use it, black with the thin gold stripes

JD . I had exactly the same jointed plug with the double hooks. It always amazed me that it was only held together with puny screw-eyes. It was a Christmas present when I was around 12 and somehow I m

Posted Images

Great pics mate, i love them pics, that lure look's like a pibull has been chewing it :icon_eek: you must have to watch more than your fingers with them, good stuff greeny. :thumbs:

cheers bb

some years different shapes colours catch but that yo-zuri would catch allsorts consistently esp cudas they used to climb all over it from the back to the front lol

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

I'm sure we've all got the odd lure that we keep for sentimental reasons. This lure in the photo is over 25 years old and it's given me some great memories, though I wouldn't use it today in case I lost it. I remember I only had 50 pence left in my pocket and I asked the tackle shop owner what he'd give me for 50P and this was the lure. made of wood and buoyant it is just a surface lure really, but when I fitted the rear treble the extra weight made the lure sink slowly and i could fish it a little deeper. Originally both front and rear hooks were doubles, which is a bit strange. As you can see by the lures condition, it had been a frequent visitor in the mouth of a pike and the many scratches and dents are from pikes teeth. Most oft he fish came from a certain reservoir when the shallow bays were filled with weed, I would retrieve the lure slowly, making it roll on the surface and some of the takes were amazing. Nothing big, maybe up to 6 or 7 pound, but good, exciting sport never-the-less.

Anyone else got any old lures they'd like to share?? JD

JD . I had exactly the same jointed plug with the double hooks. It always amazed me that it was only held together with puny screw-eyes. It was a Christmas present when I was around 12 and somehow I managed to hang on to it for quite a while.

On its last outing I had taken a mate and his little lads to a stretch of the Arun where at the time t chances of a few small pike were pretty much a certainty.

I was retrieving the plug for the umpteenth time when something much bigger than the usual

jack surged at the lure and sunk into the depths. It was certainly 15lb ,maybe even the magic two oh. I was shaking when I made my next cast ; which saw the lure caught in a clump of grass on the opposite bank. I gave it a tweak knowing that my line was a lot stronger than a bit of bankside vegetation. Unfortunately the plug wasn't . It fell in half !

I tried other lures without sucess and returned a few days later with live-baits but that pike was either very wise or had died laughing.

The plug below dates from the same Christmas . I think its called a River Runt. The rubber bullheads are part of a handful I grabbed from a bargain bin at a country show a few years ago. They were so quirky I had to have some just for the fun-factor but they also catch fish!

post-13773-0-97946900-1434222990_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Like 4

A nice story Comanche. I too had an exact copy of your River Runt, but mine was in green and I found it in the river, though I can't remember which one. I'm going to dig out a few more old lures....

• Like 1

I worked "on the bench" at a high street jeweller's when I left school and salvaged some huge bits of brass from the doors of the nearby Woolworths shop when it was being refitted .Using my jewellery tools I cut and hammered out a load of shiny spoons up to ten inches long none of which I have left. They caught plenty of pike but nothing big. In fact some were little bigger than the lures!

Nothing much has changed;)

post-13773-0-92058700-1434225162_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Like 3

Good thread this... interesting and a trip down memory lane, my sort of thread tbf!!

Green lurchers they are great Photos..

I caught some Doradeo before great fun,

Also hooked and lost a few huge cudas off the rocks below our hotel in St Lucia.. (tried to have a fish on the day we were married there, that didn't go down too well though lol)..

Caught snapper and needle fish, loads of ugly little brown critters which I don't know the name of.. bu did't land a barracuda, ran out of lures in the end.. small holiday bag of gear, all smashed up!! lol

• Like 1
:thumbs:

Greeny I know i'm repeating myself but the pics are special. :thumbs:

thanks again bb have used plenty of lures over the years esp for pike it suits the roving angler and the travelling angler todays lures are somewhat expensive but I cant recommend yo-zuri lures enough and ive used plenty of them :thumbs:

Edited by green lurchers

Good thread this... interesting and a trip down memory lane, my sort of thread tbf!!

Green lurchers they are great Photos..

I caught some Doradeo before great fun,

Also hooked and lost a few huge cudas off the rocks below our hotel in St Lucia.. (tried to have a fish on the day we were married there, that didn't go down too well though lol)..

Caught snapper and needle fish, loads of ugly little brown critters which I don't know the name of.. bu did't land a barracuda, ran out of lures in the end.. small holiday bag of gear, all smashed up!! lol

somedays they are fickle but on the right tide they get right on the chew, was these the brown fish you were catching nk ? mangrove snapper they love a lure and fight like hell like all snappers 24928475-a4a9-4317-bc1d-7a4463e32b38_zps

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

thanks again bb have used plenty of lures over the years esp for pike it suits the roving angler and the travelling angler todays lures are somewhat expensive but I cant recommend yo-zuri lures enough and ive used plenty of them :thumbs:

Even for pike or just for the heavyweights in the pics.

Even for pike or just for the heavyweights in the pics.

only used yo-zuri in the salt used to use heddon and rapalas for pike

Yeah that looks a lot like them Green Lurchers... quite a few came in bit clean in half from the Baracudas though,

really got me going this thread... I need a good save and a foreign adventure with my lad I think..

I've promised him a 5 day trip to Norway next year, but there is talk of us going to Mexico for the wifes 40th in January.. have you fished there at all GL?

Yeah that looks a lot like them Green Lurchers... quite a few came in bit clean in half from the Baracudas though,

really got me going this thread... I need a good save and a foreign adventure with my lad I think..

I've promised him a 5 day trip to Norway next year, but there is talk of us going to Mexico for the wifes 40th in January.. have you fished there at all GL?

never been to mexico NK I like the look of punta allen and ascention bay , have a few pals whove flyfished mexico and they have enjoyed it

• Like 1

never been to mexico NK I like the look of punta allen and ascention bay , have a few pals whove flyfished mexico and they have enjoyed it

where ever you stay in mexico they will pick you you up and fly you to ascension bay fished opposite side of gulf for tuna on the fly fl133_zpsd1083661.jpg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2