Old Lures....

I'm sure we've all got the odd lure that we keep for sentimental reasons. This lure in the photo is over 25 years old and it's given me some great memories, though I wouldn't use it today in case I lost it. I remember I only had 50 pence left in my pocket and I asked the tackle shop owner what he'd give me for 50P and this was the lure. made of wood and buoyant it is just a surface lure really, but when I fitted the rear treble the extra weight made the lure sink slowly and i could fish it a little deeper. Originally both front and rear hooks were doubles, which is a bit strange. As you can see by the lures condition, it had been a frequent visitor in the mouth of a pike and the many scratches and dents are from pikes teeth. Most oft he fish came from a certain reservoir when the shallow bays were filled with weed, I would retrieve the lure slowly, making it roll on the surface and some of the takes were amazing. Nothing big, maybe up to 6 or 7 pound, but good, exciting sport never-the-less.

Anyone else got any old lures they'd like to share?? JD

post-16-0-81763100-1434183922_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure we've all got the odd lure that we keep for sentimental reasons. This lure in the photo is over 25 years old and it's given me some great memories, though I wouldn't use it today in case I lo

I have a abu toby spoon that my dad got me the first time he took me to scotland, around 83-84 it's nothing special but dad died ten year's ago so i just can't use it, black with the thin gold stripes

JD . I had exactly the same jointed plug with the double hooks. It always amazed me that it was only held together with puny screw-eyes. It was a Christmas present when I was around 12 and somehow I m

Posted Images

I'm a terrible hoarder of tackle, my shed is brimming with gear that I can't bring myself to part with.

I've 2 old floats which were made by an excellent old local angler, he knew the river inside out and was particularly good on the small tributaries the Culm and Creedy.

I was 17 and working in the tackle shop when old Joe gave me the 2 floats, I'd put him onto a type of line was stick float fishing with, he gifted them as a thank you...

He spent his last 10 years or so living in Teignmouth,was by far the best man on that river running a live eel through for bass, using his old Normark waggler rod and match reel and fishing it as you would a river..

He passed away last year, lived to a good old age 80 odd and fished for most of that time...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3

Does anyone remember these: Masterline Muggers?

I hear that they're actually worth a few quid these days as they're pretty rare. This is the original set of three I got about 25 years ago and It's a bit of a miracle that they're in such good nick and haven't been lost in a snag. They were a cracking plug and would rise to the top when the retrieve was paused. As you can see, they're plenty scarred up by pike teeth!

post-16-0-79975300-1434194605.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone remember these: Masterline Muggers?

I hear that they're actually worth a few quid these days as they're pretty rare. This is the original set of three I got about 25 years ago and It's a bit of a miracle that they're in such good nick and haven't been lost in a snag. They were a cracking plug and would rise to the top when the retrieve was paused. As you can see, they're plenty scarred up by pike teeth!

They take me back, had many a good day using those and similar plugs, so many great memories as a kid and through to teens fishing...

I was short for the deposit on my first house and sold all my tackle to make it up, I hadn't fished as much for the previous couple of years or so as doing a lot more with the dogs once I had my own transport, I know I didn't get what it was fully worth and still regret it today as I had some great stuff... as a kid I always enjoyed the weekend trip to the tackle shop with my paper round money....

Thanks for posting the pics brought back some great memories

just had a rummage and found my best retired lure its a yo-zuri emporer minnow shallow runner 13cm caught plenty cudas on this , it out fished any other lure I,ve used about £25 good few years back , I got a replica and it done the job but never made it back :thumbs:IMG_7899_zps7ajixito.jpgIMG_7898_zpsjn7i6qhg.jpg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 3