Neil, i had to laugh when you were telling me about taskers (sorry) because i live just around the corner from there, but thanks for the info. I watch river piker, but scouse angler is not my cup of tea (watched a few) i enjoy river piker's vids, i have 65lb power pro on the heavier lure reel and 30lb on the lighter one, but i have never used heavy traces, 40lb afw surfstrand is the heaviest that i have used, i think that's what i need to learn because i like the idea of the harness, so i will have to try bending some wire and have a go at making them, thanks. :thumbs:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a day of fishing yesterday on a large stillwater that hasn't really been coarse fished much before. I targeted perch with a variety of soft lures and ended with four, the biggest was 3lb 8 ozs a

Pic of pic not the best quality

Posted Images

Are you going to be using a multiplier set up for the big stuff . Its not easy to use the real big stuff on fixed spool reels , it can be done but multis are best for the job . Your lucky your close to taskers i wish it was close to me , its a good shop and will do deals if your spending money , last time i went down i got an okuma helios air multiplier for a lot less than they are advertised at , aswell as a load of sg lures and pliers for a lot less than they should have been . I know what you mean about the scouse angler , his early vids looked like he had tripped up in the savage gear factory and everything had stuck , some of his vids are ok though and not as bad as the toataly awsome fishing bloke. The harnesses are easy to do and give you the option of fishing deep or super shallow with better hooking than a jig head

I have used the solid traces for a few years now and they're good. I still have the original ones I bought. They are miles better than wire IMO. Obviously, I use them on my heavy rod, with 80lb braid and ABU multiplier...

Solid traces are the only way to go with the big stuff . Which abu do you use , Ive had 5501c3 and 6601c4 but prefer shimanos and okumas but ive noticed a lot of people relly rate the new abus with the drop down gears

I have used the solid traces for a few years now and they're good. I still have the original ones I bought. They are miles better than wire IMO. Obviously, I use them on my heavy rod, with 80lb braid and ABU multiplier...

Solid traces are the only way to go with the big stuff . Which abu do you use , Ive had 5501c3 and 6601c4 but prefer shimanos and okumas but ive noticed a lot of people relly rate the new abus with the drop down gears

6501c4 is the big reel, I also have a shimano for lighter work and that can cast a loooong way!

Don't get me started with that totally awesome fishing fella, he makes me not want to go fishing :laugh: i have never used a multi, what would your advice be, nothing to pricey incase i don't take to it.

My advice would be get used to tangles... :D

• Like 2

Have a look at the the okuma Komodo or Citrix at taskers , they were selling the older models off not long back or even look for a second hand Abu or shimano . The round profile reels might feel a bit akward at first but you get used to it . They are not hard to cast if you don't try and force the cast . There's a casting brake that you can set so that when the reels in freespool the spool will stop spinning as soon as the lure hits the water , to test it all you do is hold your rod out with the lure on press the bail and let it hit the ground and adjust till it doesn't overun . Once you get used to the feel of it you can back the casting brake right off and just use your thumb over the spool to feel for and stop overruns . I showed a mate how to do it once and even though I'd set it up to minimise tangles he didn't listen and tried to put it out miles which didn't work and cost me a brand new and genuine musky innovations mag dawg .

6501c4 is the big reel, I also have a shimano for lighter work and that can cast a loooong way!

I prefer the shimanos to abus , I had the silver c3 and the blue and gold c4 but they feel a bit agricultural and not the same feel as the 401 corvalus and Cardiffs I've had . If your ever in the market for a new low profile multi have a look at the okuma Helios air , I've been a proper shimano fan boy for years but it's properly good . It's made from magnesium and carbon and that light you don't know it's on the rod . Although it's not meant for it , I've been using and abusing mine with lures upto 125g and it's stood up to it with no problems at all

I prefer the shimanos to abus , I had the silver c3 and the blue and gold c4 but they feel a bit agricultural and not the same feel as the 401 corvalus and Cardiffs I've had . If your ever in the market for a new low profile multi have a look at the okuma Helios air , I've been a proper shimano fan boy for years but it's properly good . It's made from magnesium and carbon and that light you don't know it's on the rod . Although it's not meant for it , I've been using and abusing mine with lures upto 125g and it's stood up to it with no problems at all

The Shimano I've got is a good one, I really rate it. But then again, I like the ABU as it's a solid lump and will look good in the photo next to a twenty pounder when I catch one! ha ha Just ordered a 30cm SG inline trout that weighs 300gms, so thats going to be fun!

I haven't cast a lead that weighed 300gm - 10oz+ :laugh: so a lure at that weight is way out of my comfort zone, I would have to go the gym for a bit to cast that size for a day :laugh: this started with grubs for perch and now were up to 300gm lures :yes: I always start out perch fishing and as the day goes on the lures get bigger and that's what's happened on here, I love it. :thumbs:

• Like 3

I haven't cast a lead that weighed 300gm - 10oz+ :laugh: so a lure at that weight is way out of my comfort zone, I would have to go the gym for a bit to cast that size for a day :laugh: this started with grubs for perch and now were up to 300gm lures :yes: I always start out perch fishing and as the day goes on the lures get bigger and that's what's happened on here, I love it. :thumbs:

I will post a piccy......I need a big lure for my river twenty!! :D

Like the look of the inline trout , the inline pike look good aswell . Ive had some on the 20 cm 3d rattle trout including one that picked it up static like a deadbait in 30ft of water . I dont think my rod would take 300g although i have lobbed the occasional mag dawg and fox deviant which are around the 7-8oz mark i wouldnt like to do it all day . If you want a big lure have a look at the musky innovations pounder and 2pounder dawgs , they also do rods with massive ratings to match them . A river 20 would be nice but theres not many rivers round here that will do it