after reading the other notes i think its a case of a bee keeper going on about his weekly inspections blind to your concerns, may be a call to him will jolly up a quick response.

you are so luck not to have rape near by, i hate the stuff, nasty honey weak and thin or cyrstals yuk, i sell it off double quick to get rid of it. some people here rave about it and i worry about their sanity

• Like 1

Another question for the bee keepers. Are the bees that over winter worker bees? I read that some commercial growers keep bee hives in their green houses to aid pollination, do the bees mellow as the numbers increase? Otherwise I could see it being a pain to pick the crop.

TC

Yes, the bees that overwinter are worker bees. The queen stops laying eggs in the autumn and the remaining cluster of bees tend to her needs until spring. These bees manage to live a few months unlike bees born during the warmer months who only last a few weeks, literally working themselves to death foraging.

Bees are used for pollination by commercial growers for both indoor and outdoor crops, the hives are usually only put in with the crops for the time the pollination needs to happen and then moved somewhere else. I have some of my hives in a local orchard while the trees are in blossom and then move them once the fruit starts to set. Bees are not usually a problem once the crop(whatever it may be) is ready to be harvested as they have moved on to the next plant in flower.

• Like 1

Yes, the bees that overwinter are worker bees. The queen stops laying eggs in the autumn and the remaining cluster of bees tend to her needs until spring. These bees manage to live a few months unlike bees born during the warmer months who only last a few weeks, literally working themselves to death foraging.

Bees are used for pollination by commercial growers for both indoor and outdoor crops, the hives are usually only put in with the crops for the time the pollination needs to happen and then moved somewhere else. I have some of my hives in a local orchard while the trees are in blossom and then move them once the fruit starts to set. Bees are not usually a problem once the crop(whatever it may be) is ready to be harvested as they have moved on to the next plant in flower.

How does that work with plants that have a long flowering season? Like runner beans and tomatoes.

TC

How does that work with plants that have a long flowering season? Like runner beans and tomatoes.

TC

You after keeping some bees TC? :hmm:

You after keeping some bees TC? :hmm:

:laugh: Not for me bee keeping, I was told though, if you blow on them they leave you alone? :hmm:

TC

If walshie blew on them his breath would fukcing kill them lol .........

• Like 1

bowing on them does not work as much. what it does do is to move the bee away from you with out the bee seeing a dirty great big arm, which she then decides to attack

the worse place by far most people get stung is the ear lobe. that really does smart when it happens

• Like 1

Walshie you fukcing townie there are insects in the countryside and sometimes you will get stung ... Man up ffs ... Typical english townie moving to the countryside and trying to change the way things have been done for generations ... You will be popular NOT ... Let the man keep his bees there like he has for years .... Oh and bring me a pot of honey at the next fishing comp ... :D

I know, he's only been here 5 minutes and he's chopping our trees down and pissing about with our bees.. Much more of it and im going to rouse the locals and march on him..

simpsons-villagers-pitchfork-torches.jpe

:laugh:

The English locals near me or the English locals from Little England near you? :laugh:

Have to be your locals mate.. As I told you before, the few remaining proper locals round here rarely venture further than the signs that denote the limit of whichever town or village they were born in! :D