Maybe The 80Lb Catfish This Season????

Cant wait to get some more carp on the bank this year and who knows maybe the 80lb catty that came out of my favourite localish lake. Greaves end in eastrington just passed gilberdyke in east yorkshire!!! Not a very big or deep place but 1 hell of a day ticket water with many 20lbers and some excellent grass carp, even the perch are huge, ive hooked a 3lb 8oz on a bunch of hair-rigged earthworms. Me and my brothers fish the place regularly and was aware of 2 catfish, 1 an american red catty and the other a wels catty. The wels apparantly got put in roughly around 15-18 years ago and weighed around 29lb, it didnt come out for the first 10ish years but finally made an appearance at 48lb it then came out around 5years later caught by a friend of mine at 72lb, he was fishing for carp and the catty burnt out his reel. Then year before last it came out at 80lb and that was witnessed by my 2 brothers but unfortunately i didnt go on that trip so i have only seen pics. What a place, friendly owners and not just money grabbers!!! All pics of catty and other fish can be seen in the picture hut in the car park

Edited by Lancep1982
  • Like 3

Cant wait to get some more carp on the bank this year and who knows maybe the 80lb catty that came out of my favourite localish lake. Greaves end in eastrington just passed gilberdyke in east yorkshire!!! Not a very big or deep place but 1 hell of a day ticket water with many 20lbers and some excellent grass carp, even the perch are huge, ive hooked a 3lb 8oz on a bunch of hair-rigged earthworms. Me and my brothers fish the place regularly and was aware of 2 catfish, 1 an american red catty and the other a wels catty. The wels apparantly got put in roughly around 15-18 years ago and weighed around 29lb, it didnt come out for the first 10ish years but finally made an appearance at 48lb it then came out around 5years later caught by a friend of mine at 72lb, he was fishing for carp and the catty burnt out his reel. Then year before last it came out at 80lb and that was witnessed by my 2 brothers but unfortunately i didnt go on that trip so i have only seen pics. What a place, friendly owners and not just money grabbers!!! All pics of catty and other fish can be seen in the picture hut in the car park

sounds a decent water lancep how far is the venue from the humber bridge bud

20-25 miles. Its worth the travel mate, ive had my last 2 personal best out of that place also my biggest grass carp and the best 6 hours fishing ever which included carp upto 17lb10oz and a total weight of 177lb of carp in 6 hours. That was october of 2005, i was fishing 2 rods exactly the same set-up, bait and swim but was only catching on my right hand side rod, the other didnt even produce a beep. My friend was in the next peg and blanked!!!

My pb grass carp is 14lb2oz, my pb carp is a mirror of 21lb8oz and my 2nd pb which took around 6years to break was a stunning common of 18lb6oz. All fish was caught at greaves end.

Edited by Lancep1982

20-25 miles. Its worth the travel mate, ive had my last 2 personal best out of that place also my biggest grass carp and the best 6 hours fishing ever which included carp upto 17lb10oz and a total weight of 177lb of carp in 6 hours. That was october of 2005, i was fishing 2 rods exactly the same set-up, bait and swim but was only catching on my right hand side rod, the other didnt even produce a beep. My friend was in the next peg and blanked!!!

My pb grass carp is 14lb2oz, my pb carp is a mirror of 21lb8oz and my 2nd pb which took around 6years to break was a stunning common of 18lb6oz. All fish was caught at greaves end.

thanks for input lancep I will give it a go what parts of the lake produce the best early season bud plan to give it a go sometime in may atb alan

Worth joining hull and district if you aren't already a member plenty of decent carp waters to go at and only cheap for the season, not that I have fished for a couple of seasons lol will hopefully get out again this year if I have the time.

There is 2-3 swims for early season in my opinion, down the right hand side, 2nd to last peg before the corner and put a rod tight to the bush thats right in the corner, you could go on that very peg but you will be right on top of the bush so thats why i go the peg before it and make a very short flick out!!! The "knuckle" is a good producer early season, cast to the overhanging willow tree, ideally you would want to be aiming for about 3-5 foot to the side of the overhanging willow tree and about 6-8 foot past it. Or anywere in the "cove". The margins produce some very nice fish in the late afternoon and early evening they also regularly produce the 2 sturgeon. The bigger of thr 2 sturgeon is around 18lb now and the smaller is around 10lb, ive had them both and so has 1 of my brothers and my other brother has had the bigger one.