I got the weber one touch kettle a few years back and can't fault it. Iv done a few 10 hour cooks onit now with brisket and other slow cook joints and it holds it temp well.

Another plus is a few company make add ons for it like meet racks and fish hangers, can get a fair few racks of ribs on with the rib rack to.

As above webers the way to go my cousins had one for nearly 8 years and it's still going strong makes a good job of anything. There a few quid but if your going to use it a bit there well worth it for the amount of years you will get out of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the weber one touch kettle a few years back and can't fault it. Iv done a few 10 hour cooks onit now with brisket and other slow cook joints and it holds it temp well.

Another plus is a few company make add ons for it like meet racks and fish hangers, can get a fair few racks of ribs on with the rib rack to.

We're thinking of getting a new BBQ and I remembered this thread. Is your one touch the one that has the self-cleaning thing on the bottom and the thermometer? I've read excellent reviews of this one but was wondering how necessary the self-cleaning and thermometer elements are for the extra money.

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you aren't getting confused with a BBQ and a GRILL.

These two words have become synonymous with one another over time, and here in the UK we just use the word BBQ for both senses of the word.

A grill is an open fire, made by gas or charcoal, with a grill over the top. That is where you grill burgers, steaks, chicken pieces, sausages, lamb chops etc...

A BBQ is something that you cook meat, such as beef brisket - for a period of 7 hours and above. It smokes and slow cooks the meat, usually marinaded or rubbed with a BBQ rub or sauce.

Here is a BBQ I made a few years ago. I sold it now, but this is a true authentic BBQ. The fire is on the bottom barrel, and wood chips (mesquite, cherry wood, apple wood etc...) are added to give a flavoured smoke. The meat sits on the top barrel, and cooks for a long period of time. g4zsS.jpg

Here is a picture of the grill I use as well - it's an Outback charcoal "bake house", it does me fine and great for summer parties and get togethers.10PsB.jpg

• Like 2

These two words have become synonymous with one another over time, and here in the UK we just use the word BBQ for both senses of the word.

A grill is an open fire, made by gas or charcoal, with a grill over the top. That is where you grill burgers, steaks, chicken pieces, sausages, lamb chops etc...

A BBQ is something that you cook meat, such as beef brisket - for a period of 7 hours and above. It smokes and slow cooks the meat, usually marinaded or rubbed with a BBQ rub or sauce.

Here is a BBQ I made a few years ago. I sold it now, but this is a true authentic BBQ. The fire is on the bottom barrel, and wood chips (mesquite, cherry wood, apple wood etc...) are added to give a flavoured smoke. The meat sits on the top barrel, and cooks for a long period of time. g4zsS.jpg

Here is a picture of the grill I use as well - it's an Outback charcoal "bake house", it does me fine and great for summer parties and get togethers.10PsB.jpg

That's an impressive set up. Am I right in thinking a kettle bbq is ideal for both grilling and bbq? Im looking at getting one soon, tbh I only found out the difference a couple of days ago. Im mainly wanting it for grilling burgers sausages wings etc but I also realy want to try beer can chicken and duck.

Edited by pie-eater

That's an impressive set up. Am I right in thinking a kettle bbq is ideal for both grilling and bbq? Im looking at getting one soon, tbh I only found out the difference a couple of days ago. Im mainly wanting it for grilling burgers sausages wings etc but I also realy want to try beer can chicken and duck.

You're very correct. Make sure you follow a good instruction guide for BBQ'ing the meat in question though. Basically it's the same as grilling, but in essence you wait for the coals and wood to burn right down, and you add wood chips (which you can buy in any BBQ shop). It stays put for a good few hours (around 6 or 7) with the lid down and the meat becomes very tender, much like the texture of pulled pork. With grilling you would just leave the lid open and make sure the coals are nice and hot when you grill your burgers or sausages.

• Like 1