Opening Day Buck

Raced home from work on Wednesday keen to go and check out a new piece of ground to try and score an opening day buck. Id been round the boundary with the land owner a couple of times, once on the lamp, it was obvious he was plainly keen to see the numbers come down saying he'd be happy for them to stay in single figures. As we'd seen around 15 deer while out rabbiting I agreed that bringing it under 10 should reasonably straightforward and he said no - single figures a in 1 or 2! Trying to align landowners expectations with your own ethics / ideas isn't always easy and, as I've got no intention of clearing the place out knew it would take a bit of work to keep us on the same page.

I called him ahead to say id be on the ground and he said, 'oh great ok, i'll get ready and come out with you' . errrr - ok is all I could come out with slightly caught on the hop. Picking him up he's wearing a green cap which has been in the sun so much its almost white and overalls in almost the same condition - im already putting this trip down as a blank as we trundle off. With scant regard to heavy foot falls in puddles & wet mud... or anywhere come to that alongside the absence of a few other basic but crucial stalking practices I decide the best option is to wait up somewhere. We're plodding over a wheat field when a nice little 4 pointer pops though the hedgerow and bounces into the field. We're in a tramline not more than 100 meters from the hedge so drop to the ground and I get set up on the bipod. I'm not aware of what the farmer is doing other than the fact he's right next to me and i'm just about to squeeze off when the buck reacts to something and skips off. The air turns blue as the farmer tells me to shoot it as its moving but I just follow it in the scope hoping it will stop.... which it doesn't, and I can tell he's not happy.

I'm still looking through the scope at the place it went through when he boots me in the leg and motions over to the gap in the hedge the four pointer came of.. and right then I knew we'd have a problem. A big buck had come into the field and was looking right at us. I'm not into shooting decent animals this early would normally leave them as a treat towards the end of the season or in the rut to the call. I said he'd be best to leave as he'd keep the other bucks away but this fell on deaf ears and he said in no uncertain terms 'shoot the f****r'. Fortunately he was face on so it bought me an excuse to delay in the hope he's piss off but then the bloody thing started walking towards us. I could easily have necked it but held off but at 60meters distance the farmer started kicking me in the leg with his boot and almost hissing at me! At no more than 40 meters I got them impression that it was this buck or the permission so put the bead on his neck and dropped him.

The shot was still echoing as the farmer sprang up and who was now all sweetness and light, patting me on the back and saying how fantastic it all was. He was really genuinely happy so whilst a good animal has gone before his time at least im in the good books - he can stay at home next time though!

April1_zpsp2wu5mwx.jpeg

While I like a good dark antlers, no doubt at the expense of some poor buggers trees, this one has boiled out really nicely with the velvet off. A bit longer in the bucket to soften up the bits around the pearling and ill peroxide him.

April3_zpsphe8gwpf.jpeg

Edited by Yokel Matt

Good read mate. Sometimes you got to do what the landowners say to keep the permission. I was out foxing uoon the farmers request last night dont like doing it when cubs are about. Its either that or he gets somebody else on to shoot. Out of curiosity what happens with the carcas on that perm you have

I get to keep it at this place mate. At other places I give the landowners a joint every now and then, one place I have gets the full works - trussed oven ready joints, dice, mince, sausages, burgers... I don't pay for any stalking so always offer to stay one the right side of the owner... it's just some have higher expectations than others!

Edited by Yokel Matt

It is a shame mate - to some they're nothing more than vermin. God knows had I intentionally tried to stalk him it would never have worked out the way it did, bucks that size don't get there by being foolish or curious. Judging by his teeth he'd been around the block and with just 5 points and small tines was probably on his way back as well, still a shame though.