Lost Zero

hi all,

Me and the missus went down the range the other day.

She checked her 35yd zero from the previous time and despite the windy conditions all seemed well, she was hitting knockdown targets from 15-45yds no problem.

Then out of nowhere rain and hail came down hard so we quickly packed up and waited it out in the car. When it stopped we went back out and she couldn't hit anything as the zero seemed to have wondered, the gun wasnt knocked and all screws were still tight.

Any ideas? HW98 with Nikko Mountmaster.

Cheers

I've broken Hawke AirMax and NS AirKing scopes on FAC springers, even though they're "rated for all calibres." :hmm:

If it's the odd flyer, then it's the pellets or the shooter. If the zero changes completely, without the rifle being knocked and with all mount and stock screws still tight, then it's more likely the scope. Check your stock screws first to see if they've worked loose. If they're tight, it's probably the scope.

Hawke told me that their one-inch tube construction uses a leaf spring to hold the erector tube in place, and this is more fragile than the system used in their 30mm scopes. Essentially the recoil of a FAC springer shakes their guts loose.

I bought a Hawke Sport HD for my new 16fpe HW85, and it seems to be holding zero OK after the first tin of pellets. The NS AirKing on my 13fpe HW97 is fine too, although my 16fpe Stoeger gas-ram has broken an identical AirKing.