Releasing Issue

My 15 month old springer has been getting progressively worse at releasing anything when she comes back with it.

She comes back, sits down (usually in front of me, head up, well presented) then as soon as I go to get the dummy, she turns away, or drops her head and 'holds onto' the dummy with her front feet!

I have been patient up to now, but tonight it's wound me up, so here I am looking for any advice.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

When she comes back with the dummy, don't take it off her straight away. Get down on your knees, with your arms open wide, give her loads of praise for bringing it back and let her hold the dummy for a little while. Then, say "dead" and take the dummy away from her. I always see people with labs or spaniels do the same mistake. They let the dog come back to them with the dummy, and take it off them as soon as they bring it back. That way, the dog thinks "well, if I'm doing all this work to run up to it and take it back to him, I won't bother if he's only going to take it off me straight away." Just let her hold it for a bit.

Have a second dummy, take the retrieve and hand her the second one, walk her at heel with it for a while then swap them again. Make it so she gets the reward of another dummy if the dummy is what she wants.

Edited by Miesque
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heard of this before.

Nothing working yet.....

Been extra patient with her these last few weeks, and swapping dummys gets her letting go of the 1st one.

Not sure why this has started as wife and kids don't go anywhere near her, and I've never entered a tug of war with her. (The dog, not the wife)

slip your fingers in her mouth behind the dummy remove the dummy and give her it back and remove the dummy again then throw a short retrieve mix this play up so the dog can't second guess you i do this with my spaniels if not releasing because I think most dogs are optimists and they will release in the hope of more play hope this makes sense.

The recovery of the dummy is a separate discipline to the retrieve, and I reckon it should practiced separately. Just practice giving her the dummy making the dog wait and then taking it off her. Reward her with praise or a treat. Hopefully she will remember two dozen of those a day when she makes a retrieve

Happened to end up with a denti-stick thing in my pocket the other night. As soon as she smelled it, dummy was spat out and forgotten about. This is the reason I don't agree with the 'treat' thing, but you hear of people who get the results from using this method.

Vet's husband has a few springers, and she suggested the treat method as a last resort.

Finally seem to be getting somewhere with her training, and this happens!

Thanks for your suggestions.