Make Your Own Tools Thread.

Few pics of finished hunter/ skinner.

P1060496_zps1zelylq7.jpg

P1060499_zps2k2foyf1.jpg

P1060500_zpsda8hmn4m.jpg

P1060501_zps6vqkwqii.jpg

P1060503_zpsuk1g0rtp.jpg

Kydex sheath with Tek-Lok belt clip for fast fixing/removal to an in-situe belt/strap. Micarta bead made from cutting of handle material.

P1060516_zpseljtd3ny.jpg

P1060517_zpscithqzwg.jpg

P1060519_zpsagkvrkvj.jpg

P1060524_zpsl2tq2bqc.jpg

P1060525_zpsakmy6j79.jpg

Belt clip is mounted in the horizantal position (can easily be changed to verticle) makes it very comfy to wear standing or sitting. The kydex is fitted to the knife and it clips into place with a nice resounding click,enough resistance to stop it falling out but still easy to draw the knife.

P1060529_zpsu0gbw2nc.jpg

P1060532_zpsqhqtof1g.jpg

Listed a lot of the pics but a few more here. http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gruffalogriff/library/Hunter?sort=3&page=1

• Like 2

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

i see what you did just abit of advice pins secure a handle not apoxy or so on .especially on a heavy blade like that ;)

i allwas drill like that take abit of weight from handle or taper it .plus pins and apoxy

• Like 1

i see what you did just abit of advice pins secure a handle not apoxy or so on .especially on a heavy blade like that ;)

Ok Cheers will give it some thought. If anyone wants it and prefers pins i can add them if wanted.

Griff

im not telling you how to suck eggs if there was no need for pins no one would use them :thumbs:

• Like 1

The opinels are great little knives, bought another carbone recently, but they are a feckin pain with regards trying to keep any moisture off the blade.

Any minute particle of moisture on the blade and it is rusting and pitting straight away.

SINDASOX

Any carbon steel blade is the same-it's the price you pay for having a blade that will take and hold a good cutting edge. Look after them and they will serve you well. If you want something shaped like a knife that you can get wet, throw in a corner until next time you use it then get a stainless steel blade.

Griff

Rio Your blades are carbon steen, any further thoughts for Sindasox?

Griff

The opinels are great little knives, bought another carbone recently, but they are a feckin pain with regards trying to keep any moisture off the blade.

Any minute particle of moisture on the blade and it is rusting and pitting straight away.

SINDASOX

Any carbon steel blade is the same-it's the price you pay for having a blade that will take and hold a good cutting edge. Look after them and they will serve you well. If you want something shaped like a knife that you can get wet, throw in a corner until next time you use it then get a stainless steel blade.

Griff

Griff

ill happly make him blades from good stainless it wont come cheap though .carbon steel is what it is if you dont look after it and it rusts dont complain you are to blame for not looking after it ..

• Like 1

SINDASOX

Griff

Griff

ill happly make him blades from good stainless it wont come cheap though .carbon steel is what it is if you dont look after it and it rusts dont complain you are to blame for not looking after it ..

Am i right in thinking for decent stainless that comes any where near to the performance of a carbon steel blade it has to be sent away and cryogenicly hardened in liquid nitrogen?

SINDASOX

Griff

Griff

Am i right in thinking for decent stainless that comes any where near to the performance of a carbon steel blade it has to be sent away and cryogenicly hardened in liquid nitrogen?

liquid nitrogen dipping is part of the procces it can increase rockweell hardness up to a couple of points it alters the steel structure .also alot of super steels powdered super stuff need it it enhances the stain rwsistance i send my stainless blades away to be treated its done in a vacume furnace void of oxygen and then air quenched and dipped in liqued nitrogen timings and proccesses vary acording to steel types

• Like 1