Bleach In Water

The cage bird lads use it but I've never heard of it used in poultry.

Apple Cider Vinegar is widely used to regulate a birds digestive system and some say ACV does have some parasite preventing properties.

Garlic in the water is also widely used to help combat parasites and it does work.

Bleach is something I never used even when I had canaries, no reason, other than I'd be afraid it would kill friendly bacteria as well as harmful bacteria.

JMHO.

• Like 1

I've heard of lads using it in poultry. The problem is it takes all the good bacteria away aswell as the bad. Good husbandry and you won't need it. Try cider vinegar or garlic cloves in the water 1st.

• Like 1

Read somewhere cayenne pepper added is used as either a worm treatment or preventative found it when reading about the garlic - ACV seems to be the most used. I was always wanting to try the diatomaceous earth for external parasites but seems it looses effect if mixed with water for the internal parasites :)

All I can say is that the bleach in the water works it sorts canker, coccidiosis and worms I have just bought a buff orpington cockerel after a couple of days at home he started coughing, typical gape worm symptoms. I put a teaspoon of bleach in a 4 pint drinker he's been on that for two days now and already is showing signs of improvement. I'm probably going to keep him on it for a week and then back on just cloves of garlic in the water. I don't think garlic treats worms but it is a natural antibiotic and I believe makes the gutt less habitable for worms. As would Apple cider vinegar as well

I think any new birds i bring in now will go on this routine now just as above says though good husbandry will always serve you well

If you google pigeon racing and the word bleach a lot of top racers use it ?

Edited by stevo79
  • Like 1

You hit the nail on the head Stevo.

ACV, garlic and bleach are all part of the day to day maintenance of a healthy flock.

They're not cures and worming etc. must still be done.

The bleach you used ?

Is it just ordinary household bleach ?

• Like 1