English Basset

There's an article on breeding the proper Basset in this months "Hounds" magazine.

Haven't read it yet though as I only got it this morning.

Where do you get this magazine. And how could I go about getting it. Wat type of reading is in it. Be interested in having a read oof it. Thanks for any info

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a working type Bassett a few years back. Not as leggy as the one shown, but much leaner and leggier than the 'show type'.

I remember bumping into a regular Crufts shower and breeder who reckoned ours looked a right sorry state and should probably have been put down as a pup because of his 'flaws'!

Well, let me tell you, that flawed dog would trail a fox all day, never lacking enthusiasm and lived to nearly 15. Active to about 12-13. Whereas those show things were totally knackered by 5, dead by six, with it's only contribution to the world being a massive amount of sh*t and huge vet's bills!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
acterac

The people who breed the show type need shooting.

Shoulder too upright ? Hocks too low, stifle too straight or thighs too long ? Could he hunt ? What about his nose ? Can not judge from a photograph. I reckon he never got the opportunity to use it but I think he would have loved to be let loose on a scent. But I get your point. They must hunt or they are no longer what their old breed names define them as.