Changing Calibers

Here you are: 17HMR - Dishonest 200 yard performance:

We seem to have completely forgotten the days pre V-Max and the current widespread use of other expanding ammo.

The staple bunny round was a solid lead 40g .22lr. Without doubt it would pass clean through at times, and would also expand to some extent some times, and it is of course bigger/heavier than a .17HMR.

Just the same, BOTH will kill instantly if delivered to the right place, a rabbit/crow will not wonder off anywhere if you put a HMR through it in the right place at 200 yards.

Please read in conjunction with #12, primarily this bit........

HMR carries plenty of energy at 200 yards to stop a rabbit or crow instantly.

It may not deliver that energy as efficiently as at some distances, and delivering it to the right place at 200 yards isn't that easy either.

In simple terms I don't really see the HMR as a 200yard everyday tool for anything............

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I found my .17 hmr pleasant to shoot and very efficient out to 125 yards. It will do much further but the wind is a big factor.

You should keep a .22 lr as well, different tool for a different use, cheap, efective and quiet up to it's range limits.

I recently changed my hmr for a Hornet (.22), mostly because of the wind problem but also for dropping foxes at longer ranges than the hmr (we don't need a debate, it's been discussed ad infinitum on here ! :) ). Whilst I don't regret changing you should be aware that factory ammo is about 88p per shot and if you reload (which I do) the components are virtually impossible to find.

My .17 HMR is the workhorse for me. It is nectar to shoot, does everything I want, everything that is except go unnoticed. :whistling: . That's why I have my .22, especially for the night foray. Silence!

As Cedric says, a different tool for a different use.

Why not forget the horrid 17 pop gun and put in for a .22 hornet or .222 do the job right?

If your going to do it right just use a .243 with 55grn bullets instead of old mens rifles.

I usually do mate :yes: 80gn Sierra blitz @ 3400fps is my just about everything combination, I have not noticed a lot get up from that, but for long range bunnies and up to 200yard foxes a .22 hornet old mans rifle takes some beating.