New Gundog Advice

Guest Hunter Gatherer

Guest Hunter Gatherer
Thanks alot, but all i seem to be able to find is GWP's :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

HG

:good:

MAYBE THE WAY THE THREAD IS GOING HG,ITS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING HINT HINT!!! :11: :11:

The dog has to be something that the family will like (looks) too, although i will be training, feeding, walking and cleaning it!!!

SO GSP IT IS!

HG

lol i thought the look of the gwp is probley the reason why you are not that keen on the breed, i was the same way myself but in the end after seeing them work i got one that wasn't too hairy but i think the breeds looks come a poor second to performance. i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the gwp is twice the hunter the gsp is and is also a bloody good guard dog as an added extra. is this ya first gundog by the way HG?

Guest Hunter Gatherer

Yes it is.

Also,

i have finally found a litter of GSP's! :yahoo:

I am going to have a look this sunday, as this will be my first gundog does anybody have any idea what to look out for when picking a puppy?

What should i try in order to single one out?

Yours Exitedly :yahoo:

HG

Go on yer own-no kids-no wife/girlfriend as they often will cloud your judgement cos of the ahhh factor of pups. etc etc

Seperate dogs from bitchs as to what you want.

Take each one out look for what looks physically sound with good bite etc

Make a shortlist and make your choice, check there registered, look at parents if there there.

And thenit is a lottery mate ;)

Good lucky

PS) GWP are far better :D:D:D

• 10 months later...

I bought a GSP bitch last year for falconry this season but at 14 months she's obedient but no way is she steady enough, she is from excellent working lines I'll have to leave her till next year when she matures. In retrospect I wish I'd gone for a GWP. I'm sure eventually she'll be fine.

I recommend you get a copy of The Versatile Gundog, training HPRs for Gun, Rifle and Hawk, by Guy Wallace I found it very useful.

Here's a pic of her at 7 months back in Jan this year. One other problem shes just reminded me, she is really gobby.

Remember two things ruin dogs.............women and kids. Good luck.

Edited by Fletcher

if you haven't already got your pup mate and you'd like to check out another litter of gsp's, pm me and i'll give you the breeders number. brilliant working stock, ive been picking up with her and her dogs for a couple of years now, hers are about as steady as gsp's come!!

matt

I bought a GSP bitch last year for falconry this season but at 14 months she's obedient but no way is she steady enough, she is from excellent working lines I'll have to leave her till next year when she matures. In retrospect I wish I'd gone for a GWP. I'm sure eventually she'll be fine.

I recommend you get a copy of The Versatile Gundog, training HPRs for Gun, Rifle and Hawk, by Guy Wallace I found it very useful.

Here's a pic of her at 7 months back in Jan this year. One other problem shes just reminded me, she is really gobby.

Remember two things ruin dogs.............women and kids. Good luck.

She`s a great looking dog.... I have heard that they take a while to mature, but I suppose "all good things come to those who wait"!!!!

Why would you have prefered a GWP? The main reason why I went for a GSP was mainly due to the burs that get stuck in the fur of a longer coated dog.

Thanks for the heads up about the book. I`ll check it out.

if you haven't already got your pup mate and you'd like to check out another litter of gsp's, pm me and i'll give you the breeders number. brilliant working stock, ive been picking up with her and her dogs for a couple of years now, hers are about as steady as gsp's come!!

matt

Thanks for the offer... But I`ve got my pup already. Besides, I live in Australia!!!!