New Gundog Advice

Guest Hunter Gatherer

Guest Hunter Gatherer

Hello all,

I have recently decided to get a gundog puppy, and have settled for a German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP). The dog will mainly be a worker but will also be a family pet, there are no small children in the family so there are no worrys of getting a dog that is too boisterous.

I mainly rough shoot but i intend to do some wildfowling/game days during the season, i will need the dog to retreive from water and whilst lamping.

i understand that there are many people who have a vast knowledge of gundogs on here so i would apreciate any advice anyone has on training or picking a puppy.

Thanks alot

HG

:good:

If you are buying a gsp get one from a WORKING home.There are too many being bred now that just go to shows.My gsp was from a top field trial kennel and out in the field you could tell his breeding.He had a excellent mouth,which some gsp`s do not have,and he hunted and pointed naturally.I have NEVER seen a dog ,gundog,terrier or lurcher ,with such "hunting drive" he was superb.But on the down side they NEVER stop!!!!!! and i mean NEVER.The dog was on the go every hour of the day! no matter how much work he had.DO NOT let it get away with ANYTHING because give it an inch it will take 10 mile :11: .I made the mistake of not chastising him at about 6 months old for coursing the first hare he had seen.I paid for that mistake for the rest of the dogs life.No matter how many hares he saw in a day,no matter how many times i thrashed him,no matter how many times i dragged him back to the spot where the hare jumped up from he still chased EVERY hare he ever saw :blink: .It cost him 3 days in the vets once when he was knocked over whilst coursing :no: .But the dog was a fantastic hunting companion,one that will never be replaced,and when i had him put down in july this year,it broke my heart :( .Good luck with your gsp,you will love the breed for ever.Jessdale

I'd reccomend a Hungarian Vizsla from working lines.  I agree that what ever dog you get it needs to be from good solid working lines, as with many pedigree breeds nowadays theyre being bred for showing or pets.

Ant

I agree mate i got a visla bitch and the drive is great on em,im a spaniel man too and wouldnt be without ,but a visla is definately one of the better hpr breeds,they havent been here long enough for the kennel club or show people to mess up!!!

Guest Hunter Gatherer
  QUOTE(scouse moocher @ Sep 18 2005, 02:17 PM)

I'd reccomend a Hungarian Vizsla from working lines.  I agree that what ever dog you get it needs to be from good solid working lines, as with many pedigree breeds nowadays theyre being bred for showing or pets.

Ant

I agree mate i got a visla bitch and the drive is great on em,im a spaniel man too and wouldnt be without ,but a visla is definately one of the better hpr breeds,they havent been here long enough for the kennel club or show people to mess up!!!

Sorry boys but i have already decided on a GSP!

Thanks all the same

HG

P.S. Anyone else go any experience with these dogs?

if you are planning on using the dog for water then get the hairy version, they have a more mellow temp and more user freindly, you teach them the basic's and then they are good to go.

BANG ON KIWI THE GERMAN WIRE HAIRED POINTERS ARE ALOT MORE VERSATILE A KEEPER FRIEND OF MINE USES EM,THEY'RE NOT MY CUP OF TEA BUT ID GO FOR A WIRE HAIRED BEFORE A SHORT HAIRED,MY MATE'S WEBSITE IS HOME @ mustwork.bravehost.com HAVE A LOOK HE'S GOT A GOOD PHOTO OF HIS YOUNG BITCH RETRIEVING A FOX HE'D JUST SHOT :good:

got one years ago when they were all the rage, used her on pheasants, and a bit of duckshooting she was hyper active and full of beans had to let her out and make her run beside the ute for a few kms just to settle her down compared to my labs at the time she was just to much dog, maybe if i didn't have so many dogs i could have got a better idea of the breed but she soured me off pointers for about ten years, ran a brittany spaniel after her and had a great time with her on the pheasant and quail, still rate the brittany very highly i might add. i think the gsp are great dogs in the right hands but after owing a few wire's i wouldn't consider the gsp for a hunter that wants to do a bit of everything, the gsp's do feel the cold and for serious water work the wire leaves it for dead. [bANNED TEXT] ever ya get spend some time with the litter if it's possible and pick the pup that stands out to you, it may take a few visits to be sure but at least ya gonna get the pup ya like. getting the last pup of the litter is something i try and avoid. my bitch was a bit slow to grow up and mature but i was shooting rabbits ova her at 8 mths and she was dyamite on pheasants til i got rid of her at 3 but she was still nutty then lol. shot a few deer ova her too and tried her on pigs but she would rather hunt possums and rabbits when out with my pigdogs so she got axed from the pack.

Well when your hearts set on a dog no 1's gunna change your mind :D

But I agree with previous posts the Wire haired Pointer is much more versatile and IMO is a much more steady dog.

Still not a patch on the arl' Vizsla tho ;) Funnily enough theres a few foke say the wire haires vizsla is better than the short coat version. Wouldnt know mself as ive never seen a short coat work, but with my own dog im well impressed, He'll do what evers asked of him even thought he's the house dog. ( me mar dnt like to see im outside with the lurchers n terriers :11: ) Just a great all rounder. :good::good: And i totaly agree with ya gary, my thoughts exactly about the kennel club not having a chance to f*ck things up, It would be like the weimeraner all over again!!!

Ant

Well when your hearts set on a dog no 1's gunna change your mind  :D

At Least someone is taking notice of what im saying!

So does anyone have any experience with GSP's? :p

HG

SORRY HG I HAD A COUPLE A FEW YEARS AGO DIDNT SUIT ME!! ARE YOU SURE WE CANT CHANGE UR MIND!!!!! :11: :11: :11: