Training Older Springer For Bushing

This Friday I'm going to be taking charge of an 18 month old springer that apparently needs working - current owners can't manage him

I want to train him to flush rabbit and bird for the hawk, does anyone know of any good training sites that can walk me thru the process over time, or of a good book I should get

I'm hoping I'm not being given more than I can handle.

Yep I'm sure your right on that, I was thinking that I would need to teach how to quarter and recall so that he was under proper control, I've heard they can be difficult to manage when untrained for so long

Maybe i'm worrying about nothing, still if there are some good sites or books to read I'd love to hear about them

Had read on here

" Make sure you train a command to get the terrier to go in to cover and teach it to go where you point, too, so that if you see a bolting rabbit going into cover and the terrier misses it you can direct it, quick (I say 'go see' and point and in she goes). Also at some point, when your terrier clicks with it all, you're likely to have trouble getting it back - once they start they're not keen to stop. I dealt with this by going out when I had all the time in the world, waiting for the terrier to come out of cover, calling her to me and then sending her straight back in until she was knackered. She soon got the idea that me calling her wasn't necessarily the end of her fun.

I had to be patient, my terrier didn't really get cracking until she was between 12-18 months old although my inexperience may have held her back. Now she has the idea she's very useful and I get asked to bring her along when we're ferreting because she increases the size of the bag.
I do also spend a bit of time waiting for her to reappear when she's gone to earth - I know some people train their dogs only to go down on command but I never managed that."

Thought this made good sense, was hoping to find more guidance and more detail

First thing I do is get the foundations in place.....for me that's recall and lead work and walking to heel.......bonding with the dog etc.

The bushing bit is the easy bit.....just make sure you've got the obedience level you require first.

• Like 4

Dont worry about quartering etc the dog has a good nose and work out how to use the wind itself as others have said recall is number 1 priorty a dog that wont comeback when told is no use to anybody I also teach the stop whistle seen to many dogs run over chasing from feild to feild over country lanes

i should imagine a springer from working lines ,hunting cover will come fairly natural,stopping it will be the challenge as said get the basics in place like recall

and go from there,

i regularly see an old couple on a walk and there brace of springers are permanently hunting there owners just think they are nuts,but you can see the instinct all the same.