Just Saying Hi

harrishawk999

Hi all new to the site just to get help and advice and help out in anyway I can, I have been hunting for 8 years form ferreting working dogs and all sorts of shooting, I have know just go my 1st female harris hawk after 3years, I did go on a course and the breeder I got the bird was going to mentor me as he lived 15mins away, but after I got her he has not bothered getting back to me. She is know 23weeks old she was parent reared and picked up when she was 21weeks. Took her to hawks and walks when I 1st picked her up to get all her bits put on her, she is know flying to the fist 100ft but not free flying just got her on the bird lure and eating rabbits still no look with the dead rabbit but not going to rush so will keep to the dummy she is at 2.029 she was only at 2.000lb when I got her so under weight for just coming out the aviery..

Are you sure it is a female, as 2lb does sound a bit light, but she could be a small one, the breeder sounds a right plonker if he offered to mentor you and then never got back in touch, right you have been at it two weeks, you need to get the hawk out hunting as soon as you can mate, it is very difficult and not a good idea to give any kind of weight advice over the internet, so can you find someone local to you to inspect the hawk for you? How sharp is the hawks keel, as most Harris hawks when somewhere near a decent flying/hunting weight will drop onto a carcass, perhaps not smash it at first but usually land on it and feed, which makes me think it might be a male and rather fat, but I could be wrong, hence getting an experienced man near you to help out, you need to get her/him hunting as soon as you can mate, as I would hate for you to get it screaming, if you want to pm me your number I will have a phone chat with you and see if I can help out, as it is far easier over the phone rather than on a forum, perhaps you could post up a couple of photos of the hawk, this may help us decide the sex. I have just had a look at the hawks and walks place you refer to, can you not take it to him and ask for advice? You need to get this sorted and get decent advice quickly pal.

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 2

Ye I know what your saying mate :yes: just being cautious, as the guy he has bought it from sounds like a di*k, and for all we know he could have sold him a hawk that had been returned to him and was already too low, it does sound like a reduction in weight and some carcass work would get things moving along for the lad, but some good local advice is paramount still I think.

• Like 1

Ye I know what your saying mate :yes: just being cautious, as the guy he has bought it from sounds like a di*k, and for all we know he could have sold him a hawk that had been returned to him and was already too low, it does sound like a reduction in weight and some carcass work would get things moving along for the lad, but some good local advice is paramount still I think.

If the lads been round a few, he should be able to tell from the feet & tbh I doubt a fresh male would be coming on the creance over 2lb, if it is, I want it! Lol

...but you're right, he needs first hand help now.......pity he got let down...

• Like 1

Thank you for all your help and feed back the man at hawks and walks said it is a female and her brother was alot smaller then her, the man was nice i was talking to him for 3 weeks before i picked her up from him, but then he just stopped he was going to take me out as he has got 3 harris hawks him self and lived on a farm, i have not got her free flying as she keeps trying to fly off i am still trying to find her hunting weight i am using digital scales she was coming as soon as i called her at 2.051..

I have one pic from to day but not the best, also best place to get her a box..

yes going to get a id ring for her this weekend the mentor was going to sit down and do it with me, she was at 1.989 to day and she was spot on 100ft and she was coming 1st time I called every time. She did go to fly in a tree but I called her and she turned and came to me, A a branch got caught on the line and she hit it thinking it was something, so i have got a rabbit out for her tomorrow to try with her i been feeding her bits of rabbit over the week so will she whats she is like.

hi took her out to day to fly/feed and she come every time she was coming before i called so will have to feed her bit more bring her weight up abit., but as for the dead rabbit no luck she would not fly and hit it, she would walk over then stand on it and pull at it but thats it, she has had rabbit legs and bits before and she loved it, she loves a rabbit leg to but no good with the dead rabbit. ?

ok pal was going to take a leg off for her know to bring her weight up abit for tomorrow, all so after 3 checks she will stop flying to the fist this is in tab bits not a full check then i put her away as if she don't fly she don't get but then she will loses weight as she only had 2-3 checks