Showing No Interest In Rabbits Or Holes

I'm afraid you will have to forgive me for some ignorance, know there's huge amounts of talk about quality blood lines in working ferrets..

However I've always aquired ferrets from other people, ex pets or working ferrets no longer wanted and luckily they have all worked well, they largely been Jill's which might explain the luck.

I've just been given a hob and taken him out, he doesn't seem to realise he's a ferret and had a look in a few holes to start with then soon lost interest.

Any advice ? Should I feed him rabbit, not feed him before he goes out or try working him with Jill's. I don't want to give up straight away or is it already a lost battle..

Any help welcome !

Try him down a hole that 100% has a rabbit in or one you've seen a rabbit go down. It would be unusual to have a ferret that won't go down as the scent will be very fresh and strong. if you've already tried this well like you said try him working with a jill.

• Like 1

Never take him out un fed.Would you go for a days work on an empty stomach?? i think not!! Patience is the key, find a small ish bury you know to be occupied and let him loose .Don't be in a rush to pick him up, let him mooch and find his own way .Sure there are ferrets that are better than others but in over 30 years ive never had one that wouldn't go to ground!Get some pipe etc at home let him play in/out of it etc it all helps.Sure he may never be the best worker but i bet given patience hel go to ground.Atb :thumbs:

• Like 1

got a 2yr old hob here, same thing ,tried small sets,put it down on easy rabbits,that a novice would find,in my opinion, if the breeding isnt there they will never work,this is the first ferret ive owned that has no inclination to hunt,this ferret was bought in, and been given plenty of chances to work,and i have ferreted for over 30 yrs and never seen the likes before.

Pie-eater he's about three, I've aquired him of a family who no longer wanted him. They had him as a pet so it was a risk. Hes neutered as is his sister.

Would be nice to get them both going on game, I've had ex pets before and they've worked well..