Kerry Blue Wanted

Bushranger, I've yet to meet a breeder of Kerry Blues who's dogs weren't the gamest, best hunters out there.

Years ago a breeder of Glen of Imalls was telling me how game his Glens were.

You know what I said ?

"Show me".

I picked him up and he soon realised that his dogs were curs.

BUT, this man wasn't stupid ,nor was he as big a dreamer as most owners of Bedlingtons, Borders, Glens and Blues etc. and he knew his dogs needed an injection of something.

So guess what he did ?

He put one of my Pit Bulls over a Glen bitch. The litter arrived and just looked like Glens with massive heads and he registered them with the Irish Kennel Club (I.K.C.) .

I really do hope that his outcross has now saturated todays Kennel Clubs Glen of Imalls and IMO there are many breeds who need folk behind them like this man.

The Kerry Blue is one of them. Let's face it, nowadays they're like a Poodle on steroids.

was it C.H by any chance ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you say "any help appreciated" I presume you mean your friend needs help. I would agree, anyone looking for a Kerry Blue on a working terrier forum needs help.   Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Just my opinion, but as I've said before the Kerry Blue was never anything other than a rough and ready cur. Like most of the Irish breeds he'd have been a jack of all trades but master of none. SO,

Bushranger, I've yet to meet a breeder of Kerry Blues who's dogs weren't the gamest, best hunters out there. Years ago a breeder of Glen of Imalls was telling me how game his Glens were. You know wh

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

If youre after a kerry blue for working be very carefull what you put him on, because once they turn they can be very aggresive towards other dogs and the damage they can do in a few seconds is unreal, there are breeders out there who are trying to breed for temperament as they make fantastic pets and they love being around people but if you get a nasty one it could be your biggest nightmare and some of the male dogs are very strong and powerfull .

Edited by maxwell

Just to Clarify about Kerry Blues and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers.
The Kerry Blue Terrier was recognized as a breed by the Kennel club in 1922. The secretary of one of the Kerry Blue clubs was DR, Gerard Pierse, he bred Kerry Blues for 10 years his Kennel name was Bushmount, He trialed his dogs for Gameness and had certificates of Gameness with them at the Badger Trials. When In 1935 The Kerry Blue was approved that they should be groomed in the English show grooming style, He disagreed to the point that he used his wheaten colored Kerry Blues to establish a new breed, groomed in the rough as had the Kerry been in Ireland. Dr, Gerard Pierse, gave the wheaten a Historic status saying the dog was an old breed and they become registered as a breed in 1937.

Pierse discontinued breeding Kerry Blues, and took up the wheaten.

Edited by bushranger