Gsd Gun Dog

Do you already have a gsd or are you looking to buy one for the purpose of gundog work.

I have seen plenty work to the gun as rough shooters dogs, they had nose to find game and soft mouths for retrieving, suprising considering a couple were used for bringing down two legged game in schutzhund trials. For what it is worth I think a good gsd is the most versatile of dogs that can do the jobs of most others to a more than acceptable standard

I might be wrong lol, but don't Alsatians - gsd have norm erect ears , which can make noise more sensitive to them .? my dog 1x gsd x grey with drop hears like a greyhound , and is ok .But I ve heard of pure gsds that have ear probs in general , and some gsds can be sensitive temps anyway , might not be suited to gun work for 4- 8 hours in a day. my dog Buck 28in +strong 2 year old .

DSCN0118_zps52a5392e.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think that having pricked ears makes a dog noise intolerant although I agree temperament is a major factor. I wonder how many service dogs have fought alongside soldiers in the last 150 years and how many of those were gundog breeds

well in this country it used be Airedales in the 1st world war, don't think Alsatian's were popular till after the 2nd world war, and the feeling;s towards anything German anyway over here then .lol And only the best bred gsds are used for army police work where the dogs got to be ok with firearms . the Bel Mal seems to be very popular for the above work today more than the gsd , unless they are Cz etc import line gsds .

• Like 1

The german sheperds alsation ,can do pręty much most taksa .this makes them cery versatile for a sheperds type bred maybe not field type standards has some of the bredzą bred to work with the shooter ,but can be ok there pręty much betta at dismantling a gun Man though. When breeding axs one pręty much hopes for a blend of both breeds and guarding and protection instincts are high on the list in the alsation. The ability forthe xs to także on training which makes for a betta lurcher,one hopes this his also inherited in the xs Lots of the f1s do take to the grey in there genotype,enabling them to be just the ticket for the handlem who desires a largo sheperds typexs lurchers with Lots more than the average cur type.atb bunnys

• 2 weeks later...

Well im looking to get a dog, and ive always worked gsd's and grown up with them and they have always managed all tasks. And now that "FINALLY" my licence has come i want something for retrievel but i cant bring myself to have any other breed of dog. I know that might make me stuck in my ways, but i know german shepeards very well and find it easier to know whats going on in there heads alot more. Although i have looked at labs, Im just drawn more to gsd's