A Fenns And Snares Out Plus A Bonus

Went out yesterday to set a few fenns and snares for rabbits also took couple of fox snares,went back just had it was getting dark had a couple of rabbits in the fenns,went back this morning had couple more rabbits and a nice dog fox buzzing me tits of at the moment? I'm happy,farmers happy but the misses isn't cause I didn't get her a hare ?

93AE18BA-0836-4D82-B524-FECFE7C36640_zps

6C981BF5-F6D4-4458-95CD-B2447A0CD5B1_zps

417792A1-8971-466B-82F2-4760772B6781_zps

29F750E5-16B1-490B-AB71-8C6295D6AC1F_zps

F832FB3F-660A-4859-8885-93714160BE97_zps

Fox was still alive,dispatched with shotgun before pic was took.

Four nice meals

A8549009-E3B8-4358-AAE8-5DD811F0FA95_zps

• Like 9

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went out yesterday to set a few fenns and snares for rabbits also took couple of fox snares,went back just had it was getting dark had a couple of rabbits in the fenns,went back this morning had coupl

Blimey glad I don't live in Holland then thanks for that mate very interesting read. 410 is adequote for rabbits and other vermin upto about 25yds. So is it the bunny huggers as you say that as banne

Yes, but you can't be too liberal on all things. isn't ? Welcome in the very urbanised world of the Netherlands, so fight to keep it your way, or lose it also to these very politically correct cit

Posted Images

Nice bag.

Good to see everything in action. I forgot to take my snares to the farm on Friday night :( however, I'm back down a different site tonight and the farmer has okayed the snares for ratting.

So I should be popping a small review like this soon, but all about rats.

Ratbuster when the fenns are set in the right place ie the underhang of the burrow entrance 9/10 the rabbit is caught around neck/rib area,as always though when using traps or snares there is the chance of the odd foul catch no matter how careful you are.

• Like 1

Mr. T. message received !

Trapping anything except mice / rats is forbidden in the Netherlands (except live traps with special permission) so i wandered about the use of them Fens. I know you can only use approved traps on vermin, and I really liked the way the rabbits were trapped according to the photo's you've showed. Think it's a fast an humane way of catching and killing the animals.

Should have thought that shooting that snared fox with a shotgun would show much more damage to the fox, :thumbs:

Holland has rather restrictive hunting laws e.g you are only granted a hunting licence after passing a rather stiff exam (will cost you between € 2000 and €3000 to complete) You need to own or hire a minimum of 40 hectares of land, insurance etc, and after going through this red tape, you're allowed to hunt the following animals; mallard, rabbit, hare, pheasant ( no rearing allowed, only wild birds) and woodpigeon. These are on the general license. For the rest you need special permission licences issued by the local government. Geese, crows, etc. So all game animals are protected unless...... All based on conservation plans from the local shooting / hunting club.

On a hunting licence you're only allowed a 12, 16, 20, 24 bore shotgun, all other calibers are forbidden. So no .410 bore for us, isn't adequate on game they say, not even on rabbit or jackdaws.Rifle calibers only 5.56 mm (.22) and up, so no .17 HMR for us either. all big game on special licence : deer, boar.

No lead shot allowed, no traps allowed except live traps with special permission, you first have to prove you have damage from say crows, before you are granted a licence and you have to proof there's no other way to restrict the damage. .

No lamping allowed on foxes or rabbits unless special permission, rabbits on graveyards, that sort of thing.

Hunting with dogs like lurchers was forbidden from the 1920's.

You see the powers of the bunny huggers are rather great in this country, they even have their own political party ( no kidding !)

The Netherlands have about 35.000 people who hunt / shoot, most coming from a rural background. The powers and influence from the urban society is so great that a lot of people see hunting as something bad and should be totally forbidden. Only official civil servants should do the culling where necessary.

Enjoy what you have ! :victory::thumbs::victory:

PS: Although we don't have any restrictions on the power output of our air-rifles, we aren't allowed to hunt / shot with them other than on paper or ft targets. Can have a 100 fpe plus 9mm air rifle , but can't use it on a rat (legally....) On vermin (rats/ mice) only break back traps are allowed, nothing else. So no Fenns over here.

PSS: Snaring was also forbidden in the 1920's

Edited by ratbuster
  • Like 1

Blimey glad I don't live in Holland then thanks for that mate very interesting read. 410 is adequote for rabbits and other vermin upto about 25yds.

So is it the bunny huggers as you say that as banned most of the hunting?

Think we should be thankful in the UK ?

• Like 2