Won't Jump Need Training Advice

So out with Quinn last and a rabbit jumped up right under her nose. It's the first she as ever seen as she is 9 moths old and still a bit young to get going yet. Anyway she was on this rabbit like a good en in a walled field and I was just waiting for her pick it up. What halm I thought an easy run even for a young dog.then the rabbit got over the wall at a low bit and Quinn stopped she just wouldn't jump over I was shocked she has jumped small walls before so my question is what training methods do you use to teach your dog to jump. PS she ran well and struck and mist a couple of times I was over the moon with the effort she put in except the jumping bit.

Use a word to teach them and keep it the same. Up. Over. On. Etc.

Once they know the command and trust you then they will jump anything you ask.

That doesn't mean to say she will jump mid chase though because you won't be there to give the command and it's all on her own initiative.

It may come with time she is young yet. My pup wasn't the most confident of jumpers at 9 months but now...

46F878B8-A0E4-4559-8B4B-D5BB8A7DD4A6_zps

Walls make some dogs uneasy as they can think the rabbits got away and its not like a fence where they see the rabbit and the ground ahead, try some dummy training over the walls with a certain command as Gaz said and build the dogs confidence around the obstacles.

practice makes perfect ..on your walks out.. hop over the wall and leave the dog to get over itself more times you do it the better it will get..

simple as that ..build up confidence ..when im out with pups I lift them over nothing.. they will learn.. and follow you anywhere ..hares local to me jump drystone walls all speed.

I would bag half of what I do if mine cant or wont jump walls ...

• Like 4

I won,t take a dog hunting until it can follow me wherever I go,over walls,fences,gates etc.When the dog is competent at navigating any of the said obstacles ill then do the same training process in the dark,until its competent,then the hunting training starts.I would,nt want a dog jumping walls when chasing in the lamp,i would discourage a dog from doing so.

The pup will fair better with more experience under her belt, she'll want it more and be able to figure out and read the habits of its prey ,

She's only a pup still, it'll take a couple of years to tune in and join all the dots, it's not her jumping ability it's her immaturity ,

Best of luck with her