How Old Is Too Old? (Ferreting In Lancashire)

I got a pair of jills recently that are both about 14 months old. They're most likely from working stock, and I'd love to try them out working - but are they too old to try? (Not that I have any of the equipment or knowledge or experience yet, lol)

I have some rabbit scent that I'm planning to soak a toy in and get them used to chasing that, and I'll be switching them to mostly raw/kibble supplement asap, but I don't know if I've missed the chance with them.

Also; is there anyone around East Lancs who would let me tag along and see how it's done/help out when the season starts?

Ferrets are naturally curious animals, and instinctive hunters, so they'll likely want to explore any burrow to place them in. Try them in several burrows near to where you live first, just in case they play-up and you have to hang around for a while until they decide to give themselves up, they'll soon get they hang of it. Most of the burrows in your area are small with only a few holes, so they're ideal for trying out inexperience ferrets. If you're serious about ferreting then it's better to get an electronic ferret locator and a spade. Good luck.

• Like 1

Need to get them used to my dogs/dogs to them first and wait for the tall weeds to die off a bit first I think! Is there anything to do (any tips or anything) to get them back when I do put them down/in a hole though? I'm really nervous about the idea of putting them down in a field in case I lose them!

I got a pair of jills recently that are both about 14 months old. They're most likely from working stock, and I'd love to try them out working - but are they too old to try? (Not that I have any of the equipment or knowledge or experience yet, lol)

I have some rabbit scent that I'm planning to soak a toy in and get them used to chasing that, and I'll be switching them to mostly raw/kibble supplement asap, but I don't know if I've missed the chance with them.

Also; is there anyone around East Lancs who would let me tag along and see how it's done/help out when the season starts?

I brought a small sandy hob out yesterday.

It was his first time ever in a burrow and he bolted 5 rabbits.

He's over two years old.

Ferrets do naturally what ferrets do.

• Like 2