Is Quail Hunting With Pointers Common In The Uk?

Hi everyone.

We're in the middle of the summer season here in Northern Spain, with quail shooting as the most important hunt around. It is in my opinion, along with woodcock hunting, the most spectacular hunt to do with pointing dogs, and I'm curious if you hunt them up in the UK.

I've read about japanese quail hunting (mostly falconry) or bobwhite quail hunting, but I haven't read anything about shooting common quail.

Do you hunt them?

If so, how long does the season last?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thank you.

I didn't know they were protected in the UK.

When I said bobwhites and japanese I meant released ones. That is very common to do in Spain in order to train the dogs before the summer season, but I prefer to start the new dogs with wild common quails (Coturnix coturnix) which are quite abundant in certain areas, than with released japanese ones (Coturnix japonica) whose flight is very poor and often allows the dog to catch it after a couple of flights ruining the pointing instinct.

Thank you again for your answers, they've been very helpful.

Oh, and, if you ever have the chance to hunt them with pointers (in Spain, Italy or Morocco) don't hesitate. Pointings are amazingly beautyful.

Here's a pic of last thursday's two hour hunt result. Hope you like it.

Cheers!post-93320-0-00480500-1410022273_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

What about snipe hunting in UK with Pointers?

Is that hunting common or not?

In Ukraine we are find this bird is very attractive and hard to hit when we hunt with our bird dogs.

This trophies from my hunting in Sep 2014.

5-DSC_0274.jpg

Edited by Nick_Ua

We hunt snipe not exclusively on its own but as part of what we call "Rough shooting" Where the bag is a mix of pheasant, rabbit, woodcock, pigeon and if your a good enough shot snipe.

My own pointer is three next march and he has just started to recognise woodcock as a bird to shoot but as yet I haven't had a point on snipe. Possibly because my shooting is so bad I haven't hit one in several years.