Springer Pup -Training

Hi all, I would like some help on training an 8 week old springer pup his monaule bred dog, have lurchers and terriers and all semi trained but I want this dog on the whistle? Which is best? What age to start sit, stay, retrieving, swimming, walking to heel and whistle, drop to shot I don't see the benefit but maybe someone can tell me, I'm very good with dogs but like every dog it takes time but I'd like to have a plan if it's 2 much to explain someone might advise a dvd or book? I use it for abit of everything to be honest but mainly woodcock! I'll put pictures up next week when I pick him up! Any help appreciated :) regards Rob

I know very little mate I'm in the same boat except my ess is twelve months old now and I think I made the mistake of doing to much to soon, with advice from kind chaps off here I have now got her walking to heel, stopping on the whistle, turning on the whistle, my main mistake was doing to much retrieving to young, and now I have had to start all over again with that but I don't mind, it's a learning curve for me and the dog, but every time I take her out I see an improvement, what I have been advised ( a bit late in my case lol) is let it be a pup and form a strong bond, all the best and keep us posted mate

Letting the pup be a pup is good advice but you can still start the basics at an early stage, you can get the dog to sit before you feed it, make plenty of noise before you feed it so it associates noise with pleasure, this will help when introducing it to the gun later.

Dont give too many retrieves and never take the dummy/ball from from the pup. I start retrieves with a rolled up pair of socks.

Plenty of praise and encouragement!

Hi all, I would like some help on training an 8 week old springer pup his monaule bred dog, have lurchers and terriers and all semi trained but I want this dog on the whistle? Which is best? What age to start sit, stay, retrieving, swimming, walking to heel and whistle, drop to shot I don't see the benefit but maybe someone can tell me, I'm very good with dogs but like every dog it takes time but I'd like to have a plan if it's 2 much to explain someone might advise a dvd or book? I use it for abit of everything to be honest but mainly woodcock! I'll put pictures up next week when I pick him up! Any help appreciated :) regards Rob

Explaining it in a post would take for ever. I like to start slowly with my pups & only really get on with it from about 9 months.

The recall can be worked on straight away as the pup will want to be with you.

Best DVD is the Dave Lissett series. Expensive but brilliant for Springers.

Drop to shot, drop to flush are all needed because your dog wont be doing anything it shouldn't if its sat on its arse.

Cheers

I've just got. 2 pups there. 9 weeks . Just taking it steady with them playing in the garden bonding with them getting them used to he kennel always putting them in when they about to go tosleep making them sit with the food but not fussed how long they stay down at the moment won't be doing anything for a long time except bonding. There part of the family aswell don't want a trial champion just honest worker, grouse and pheasant beating bushing for the lurcher and rough shooting, will have to do some water work aswell. Not much lol. But I've had the grand dad and dad and feel confident with what I've got so far.

• Like 1