What 22Lr Ammo For Fox

They said 22lr close out to 50 yards

17 hmr medium out to 100yards

And then said to put in for 22-250 for long range

Just waiting in land checks to see what's granted did state high seat can be used too

I'm sure there's a line in the Home Office guidance that says they shouldn't overly restrict conditions with words like "close" or "medium" range because it's so open to interpretation, hopefully they will see sense and just put down Fox.

Any expanding round will do the job.

SportingShooter:

You are absolutely right. They cannot overly apply conditions to certificate as to make it almost impossible for that person to use a firearm

Bigad: I recently had a discussion with my FEO prior to me applying for a variation (centrefire) on my certificate. Upon asking him what reasons I need to put down on my application, he told me Home Office Guidance has recently changed (2013) and to put down, 'Zeroing / target price, deer and any other lawful quarry. He did mention it was important to note the phrase, ANY OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY and the fact I no longer need to list fox for example. Obviously, you would not put Deer i your case for a .22lr, the reason I did was because it was for a .243. Have a look at the following and see what you think:

Quarry shooting, including shooting pest species (vermin) and other shooting over land
13.8 ‘Quarry’ is the general term for live animals (including birds) shot over land. In this context,
‘land’ means an area to be shot over, for example, a woodland, moorland, heath, wetland,
foreshore, open water or field. Firearm certificate holders may wish to use firearms to shoot
deer, game, pest or other quarry species. Calibres authorised should have sufficient muzzle
energy to ensure a clean kill of the quarry species concerned.
13.9 A certificate holder may shoot any quarry that is lawful (where they are authorised to
shoot). Whilst guidance is provided, it is the responsibility of the shooter and the shooting
community to know what calibre is suitable for which quarry, and when certain quarry
is lawful (including the need to obtain or rely upon a licence from the relevant licensing
authority to permit the shooting of protected species). Once initial “good reason” has been
established for the possession of a firearm, there is no requirement for “good reason” to be
demonstrated for additional quarry species or amendments providing the firearms are not
underpowered for the species (see also paragraph 13.17). A cartridge should be capable
of achieving a humane kill, and it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure that any
excess energy will be absorbed by the backstop. The “any other lawful quarry” condition
(which also covers protected species that the certificate holder is licensed to shoot) should
be applied. If an applicant is suitable to hold a firearm certificate and is deemed safe to do
so, there is no requirement to restrict the quarry they shoot by the use of conditions.
Shooting Small Quarry Species, including Game and Pest Species (Vermin)
13.19 The term “game” covers certain birds and animals that may be shot for food and sport.
These include pheasant, partridge, grouse, ptarmigan and ground game (rabbits and
hares). The term “vermin” is not defined in law, but it may include species that cause
damage to crops, game, livestock or property such as fox, rabbits, mink, stoat, weasel,
brown rat, and grey squirrel; as well as some birds, such as wood pigeon and corvids such
as rook and crow.
Fox
13.25 Although not set out in legislation, common rifle cartridges considered suitable for
the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220
Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available.
In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use
one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes, they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or
6.5mm (.264) calibre.
.22 Rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used
against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short
range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around
farm buildings or paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are
shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to achieve a humane kill.
Combination shotgun/rifles should have the rifled barrel in a similar calibre. Expanding
ammunition should be authorised for shooting foxes.
Those involved in shooting foxes will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds,
but consideration should be given to each shooter’s individual circumstances, particularly
where re-loaders are acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.9 on allowing the applicant
flexibility to reasonably shoot other species on named land.
It is does go on in a lot more detail but, have a look at the Home Office Guidance 2013. http://www.lancashire.police.uk/Content/UploadedImages/Firearms_Lisencing/Guidance_2013.pdf
Especially Section 13
P.S For those into a bit of telly...Have a look at channel 4 this coming Thursday: Kids N Guns (USA Based)

Do what Deerhound suggested and ensure your certificate is either conditioned for fox or Any Other Legal Quarry. Don't rely on vague guidelines or interpretation.

So far as ammo is concerned, most people prefer subs because they're almost 100% stealthy. HV's have a lot more energy but they are also very noisy - think echo round a valley at night noisy even with a moderator fitted. OK nothing like a CF, but stealthy they're not! TBH little virtue in using anything more than a sub at sensible .22 RF fox type ranges (ie close range) as it has more than enough retained energy. Once you get above those distances, you really need a CF.

The firearms officer has been and said I can't use rimfire for fox but I told him the other guy in the office said I could under aolq act he rang him and confirmed that this law had been passed and that it was all above board . Happy days hope the land checks come back ok