Which Rifle For Foxes.???

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget Hmr as a foxing calibre. As a rifle purely for foxes I'd be looking at .22 hornet upwards but would suggest a minimum of .222.   From there the world is your oyster but a .222, .223, .22-250

And where would I use my WMR... every site has its own characteristics and I run a business, I need to select the most appropriate tools and ammo I sensibly can for every site, distance is far from th

.470 Nitro express.   Faling that .465 Holland and Holland Nitro express works well.     My own preferance is for .222

I was speaking to a chap in the gunshop yesterday who was going to have his 22.250 rebarrelled as the groups had started to open up. Apparantly he has only had it 24 years.

You can destroy virtually any new centrefire day one if you work at it, the fact this is 24 years old is meaningless, he may only have used it for 24 shots, one a year!

Very true, but as I have said many times before, I have a keeper friend whos foxing tool of choice is his twenty something (possibly a bit more) year old, now slightly battered Remington .22-250 he has shot hundreds, and I mean hundreds of foxes with it, and it will still shoot under an inch at 150 yards, I would even suggest that a .243 shooting light for calibre bullets, I.E 58/60 grain at very high velocity, with the attendant huge powder charge needed probably around 45+ grains, will burn a barrel out a lot quicker than a .22-250 with similar use.

A 22-250 isn't a target calibre, but it is generally fast, that is largely the point of it, so relatively speaking it is likely to wear out barrels quicker than a lot of other slower calibres. How significant or important that is for the individual depends on their intended use of the calibre and the depth of their pocket.

I have seen 243 ammo loaded to touch 4000ft sec, don't expect that barrel to last long either with hard use!

Edited by Deker

I was speaking to a chap in the gunshop yesterday who was going to have his 22.250 rebarrelled as the groups had started to open up. Apparantly he has only had it 24 years.

You can destroy virtually any new centrefire day one if you work at it, the fact this is 24 years old is meaningless, he may only have used it for 24 shots, one a year!

I omitted from the post that he has shot this rifle a lot but only on fox no paper punching.

• Like 1

22-250, didn't read all the comments but read 2 about cheaper and quiter than a 22-250, 20 bullets £21, have a pes on mine nice and quiet, see everything you shoot at, cracking round get a good scope and get used to it you'll be whacking things at distances the home wouldn't touch