Is This Simply A Poor Scope?

Today I dusted off an air rifle which I bought in 2006, but have never used. I got it when I was buying a Beretta semi auto shotgun that will accept an ISIS recoil pad, but then I had to have an unexpected angioplasty. After that I decided to take up horse riding after a 30 year gap because it gives me more exercise and my daughter is also into it. Anyway soon I hope to have more time on my hands so I want to get back into rifle shooting, starting with a sub 12 air rifle and then I’ll see if I want to move on again.

I couldn’t even remember what I’d bought, other than it was short and had a scope that doesn’t seem right. It turns out it is BSA Lightening (.22) with an AGS scope.

Where I need help is the scope please. I don’t know much about them as I started out with open sights on my air rifles and on a very old, martini action, single shot .22 lr. Later any scopes I used were on FAC rifles provided by some-one else.

I reckon this AGS is probably a cheap and poor scope, but I think it can still work for me, at least to start with. My problem is I am not happy with the focus and depth of field and I don’t’ understand what the adjustment on the rear optic is for. It seems to alter the zoom and change the focal length, but I am not sure.

Here is a picture. The front lens is 40 mm and the rear is 25 mm.

14491976105_a8eec12cd7_c.jpg

Please can someone tell me which model AGS this is, what the front adjuster is for and whether I can get better images from it at ranges from 10 to 40 yards? BTW it has got dot gradations on the cross hairs. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Lid

The rear adjustment (ocular) will provide a method of making the reticle clear at least and fine tune the image.. You may need to adjust the objective (if you can) to adjust the parallax to your chosen zero distance. If you can, adjust the ocular to get a decent reticle picture. If this is ok, undo the objective ring if it has one and then screw the objective lens clockwise/anti-clockwise until the image is sharp at your chosen distance. Then re-tighten the objective ring when done. Nevertheless the scope isn't ideal. We can't see if it has a readily adjustable objective lens so if you take off the flip up we might be able to see?

Thanks. I'd love to take the flip up off, but it is on so tight I feel I might break the scope if I force it any more than I have already tried. Any recommendations on how to remove easily are very welcome please. Or is it just a matter of prising it off?

Hi - yes it was being restricted at the front although there looked to be a small gap. Here it is. It doesn't look like I can adjust the objective though.

14511748155_4632b556f4_b.jpg

Can anyone recommend me a decent starter scope for up to £60 for 10 - 40 yard vermin work on this BSA Lightening please?

I've done a little googling and I can find those Hawke HD 3-9 zoom scopes with adjustable objectives, so I guess that is what I want. However should I get 40 or 50 mm? Thanks.

A 50mm will give you more light gathering. Better for dusk/dawn shooting or lamping.

However the 40mm will likely give you a wider field of view and the ability to mount the scope lower and I have to say in my experience the 50mm only gives you a few extra minutes at dawn or dusk :)

A 50mm will give you more light gathering. Better for dusk/dawn shooting or lamping.

However the 40mm will likely give you a wider field of view and the ability to mount the scope lower and I have to say in my experience the 50mm only gives you a few extra minutes at dawn or dusk :)

To be fair. Your not going to gain very much with a £60 scope. FOV, light gathering or anti glare etc. A cheap scope means cheap glass.

Mounting the scope lower??

Atvb