Sign in to follow this  
Millet

Mules Feeding Goldfinch Chick's

Not the best of picture's as i took it through a window but you can see the cock and hen feeding two goldie chick's.. bearing in mind i put a 4 day old Goldie chick in there yesterday with blood on it's back that i found on the aviary floor which was not far from death's door..i was over the moon to see both parent's feeding one each so finger's crossed the weaker one survives.. ;)

mulesfeeding015_zps576fe662.jpg

mulesfeeding005_zps6f0401b0.jpg

• Like 6

What i have found Pete is only the hen will sit the egg's.. the cock bird will periodically go and feed the hen on the nest .. when the egg's hatch both parent's will feed the chick's.. :thumbs: ..well mine do anyway.. :D

• Like 1

I forgot to mention Pete.. it is on regurgitated food.. :thumbs:

Saw a great cartoon somewhere, once .....

Bird, laying on a psychiatrists couch. Bird's saying:

" My mother used to throw up into my mouth :unsure: "

:laugh:

• Like 2

very nice pic,cant beat seeing both parents feeding,much better than letting hens rear alone ,all though they can with no bother, just a thought has anybody seen a canary cock help with incubation,i never have,well not what I can remember these days :laugh:atb.

I can honestly say from what i have seen the only bird's where the cock takes turn's on the egg's is with foreign finches..

never noticed with foreign,but the pigeions always took turns to sit, hen canarys seem to do the lot.

I know pigeon's take turn's mate..i have a pair of nice coloured one's nesting in the garage well there was a pair till a kid over the road shot the cock bird. :censored: .the hen is rearing them on her own now.. ;)

I have 2 cock Canarys in an Avery that sit eggs.... Hardly ever see the hens on to be honest. Think they sit because the other 2 cocks in there are more dominant an they don't get hassled by them as the nests are in the middle ov a 6ft Christmas tree.

I had a cock canary who sat eggs last year, he would hardly let the hen on the nest.

I have a roller canary cock hatch and rear two young,would not let the hen get involved in the sitting at all, he,s just gone back down on the second clutch.

• Like 1

got me looking in at all times to catch a cock sitting but it just aint happening with any of mine,daytime or evening ,the hens are sitting 24/7 .the males are only going near to feed the sitting hens, :no: