.22Lr - The Elusive 1" Group At 100 Yards

What do you think, is it too much of ask of the .22LR?

I'd heard a few claims of the .22LR being capable of one inch groups at 100 yards but having owned a CZ452 for a few weeks I thought these claims were exaggerated. Nonetheless when I next visited my local gun shop I bought a range of ammo to trial to see if the little .22LR was indeed capable of such accuracy

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

In my experience 1" at 100 is a bit of a tall order with .22, obviously the ammo is the key component after the rifle/scope.

Indoors may help, I have an accurate sporter .22 and using GECO 42gr solids I can get 3 or 4 inside

the magic 1", but usually get a 'slight' flyer over 5 shots?

I use a Sako Finnfire a Harris swivel bipod and a Leupold VX3 LRT scope, so decent kit, but still the 5

shot 1" group is elusive.

Rabbits however are guaranteed 'toast' between 40 to 80 yards!

• Like 1

I'm not surprised the Eley did so well, my Anshutz 1417 loves them. I was out getting rabbits at 80 -100 yards at the weekend, mostly head shots but the conditions were perfect.

Maybe try some Lapula/SK's, see how thet perform.

Yes, Remington SS rounds are lousy. You should have asked!

I shoot at 65 yards, which is the length of my garden range. Lapua AKAH X-Trainers group pretty well at this range, and I'm confident taking headshots on coypus and muskrats that far out, conditions permitting.

They normally group around 20mm at 65 yards, but occasionally they take a step up -- or maybe I simple shoot more consistently!

See pics attached. I've just replaced the trigger spring on my Zastava with a more supple one, so hopefully my next set of groups will be more in line with the third group than the other two -- in which case, 1" at 100 yards should be achievable.

The third photo shows me rezeroing (after trying out Aguila SS HPs) then shooting a five-shot group on the left.

post-77143-0-44047200-1402349766_thumb.jpgpost-77143-0-19820200-1402349781_thumb.jpgpost-77143-0-67515500-1402349795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coypu Hunter

Of course its possible, and in the right situation/circumstances not that difficult.

I let go 10 shots from my Magtech 7022 in 1.7 seconds at 100 yards Bisley a couple of years back, they were all on the black and most near/in the Bull.

• Like 1