So I was at a friends house on Saturday and got invited to a bbq at the end of next month. The missus immediately piped up that I'm always out shooting dand i have been told ill be taking venison burgers along which is not a problem. I was also thinking of doing some kind of rabbit on a skewer type thing. Anybody ever done this before also will the rabbit be ok if it's shot it in the next few weeks then freeze until I need it?

Cheers

Rabbit is excellent BBQed! I did it last year for a friends family along with duck and it was sublime!

I can't remember exactly what I did but there was a olive oil, thyme, garlic and a few other things for a marinade which the loins were soaked in for a good hour. Then each loin was wrapped in I think panchetta and skewered.

The duck was done in a spicy soy sauce based marinade with a soy and peanut butter dipping sauce.

Deffo doing it again this year after duck season has started!

What wild duck and wild rabbit?

Absolutely! It was an Autumn BBQ, right at the end of September, weather had been gorgeous all day. The ducks were Mallard from a few early driven days and the rabbit I had shot flushed over my terrier which is great early season shooting imo. Role on September!

Just don't treat them like bangers and burn the shit out of them! lol.

The duck breasts were sliced into 3-4" chunky strips. Really suprising how well they go with a nutty dipping sauce! I'll try to find the duck recipe too, it was from a youtube vid...

Never had a wild duck or rabbit (unless really young) that was tender unless cooked really slow, marinade or not.

Jamie Oliver mentions Italy, rabbit is the second most farmed animal in the world after chicken. So I'm assuming his recipe is with farmed rabbit, which is pretty tender.

Never had a wild duck or rabbit (unless really young) that was tender unless cooked really slow, marinade or not.

Jamie Oliver mentions Italy, rabbit is the second most farmed animal in the world after chicken. So I'm assuming his recipe is with farmed rabbit, which is pretty tender.

His recipe specifically says "rabbit, preferably wild" :thumbs:

The folks I fed that evening are certainly not strangers to fine cuisine and they were very impressed, like you they were sceptical when they heard what was on the barby. LOL.

I use a BBQ professionally and cook on them for up to 40+ people weekly. Wild rabbit saddle is acceptable barbequed but any other part is tough. Had similar results wild foul, even cooked young Canada's just flying, still tough, but acceptable. I don't mind tough meat and am especially fond of Wood pigeon pan fried but BBQ seems to make non fatty meat tougher and most wild game is non fatty.

The marinade may be the answer so I will it and update you when I have, although I have used marinades before.

Anyone else had good results barbequing rabbit?

The marinade makes all the difference and with the rabbit the wrapping of pancetta largely protects it from the drying heat. Give it a go mate. I wouldn't BBQ any game without a marinade now, imo it's essential with such lean meat.

It's not melt in your mouth tender, but it's a million miles away from tough. It's firm and juicey, full of flavour!

• Like 1