Mine are going to be quick change for chiness tubes with mycarta reinforced tips the frames are ash i found a few trees by our small river back in the late winter mebe dye them to highlite the graln er no but thats it so far ,oh an i just got off work and had a look at my first run of mycarta it hardened good but the white cloth i used between the black parts is too thin it appears as the black shows through a lot an deadens the contrast that i was looking for ,but oh well gotta start some where an it should look ok all in all and above all functional ,a question olud i use plain twopart epoxy to glue the mycarta to the tips er something else?and what size hole to cut for the tubes i hear people useing 6mm ?an what kind of saw to cut my slots out with my small band saw is down at the moment an i have a couple of jig saws but they are hard for me to keep steady?thanks guys for your replies

I don't bother with ply much it's strong but can buy a blank and do the rest your self , or

Is marine ply different to multiplex ?

I dont know to be honest, but thats what I want, I know it will last then. Ive bought loads of ply lately and some of it looked good for a catty, so I marked and cut one out, then two.... Crap, voids all over the place. A full sheet aint cheap though.

Mine are going to be quick change for chiness tubes with mycarta reinforced tips the frames are ash i found a few trees by our small river back in the late winter mebe dye them to highlite the graln er no but thats it so far ,oh an i just got off work and had a look at my first run of mycarta it hardened good but the white cloth i used between the black parts is too thin it appears as the black shows through a lot an deadens the contrast that i was looking for ,but oh well gotta start some where an it should look ok all in all and above all functional ,a question olud i use plain twopart epoxy to glue the mycarta to the tips er something else?and what size hole to cut for the tubes i hear people useing 6mm ?an what kind of saw to cut my slots out with my small band saw is down at the moment an i have a couple of jig saws but they are hard for me to keep steady?thanks guys for your replies

I got an ordanry blank and put

Mine I'm my self on a bandsaw for the cut and think the hole is just abit bigger than 1745 tubes gives room to play with abit 2mm

hi winmag, I just use the two part epoxy resin for sticking micarta tips, if drilling holes for tubes then I use a 6mm drill bit, as for cutting the slits I use a bandsaw, but as yours is down at the mo, then I'm sure a hacksaw would work just fine, hope this helps

thanks im shur he will be he bin wayting 4 a bit not had much time to work on it nerly dun now stained it erleyer and now im on the 2nd coat of polyeurthane this is it with just the oak staine on

post-30470-0-80387500-1401114191_thumb.jpg

Edited by dpb82uk
  • Like 1