Advice Needed

Ok just a few things I need some pointers on.

My Lurcher is currently 18 weeks old. I walk the lurcher with my other jack russell twice a day for a good hour in the morning and a good hour in the evening.

The lurcher has come along really well. He's good with livestock, recalls very well. Walks to heel, good on/off the lead and all the stuff he should be doing. He just seems to a little bit relaxed when it comes to quarry. I wont purposely put him on quarry, but if the odd pheasant or rabbit jumps out at him, he does have the right idea to chase them. However he seems very hit or miss with them, and what I mean by that is that sometimes he sees quarry and just wants the chase, other times he's just more interested in the smells of the field and a long branch and ignores them. Is this his age or something I should be concerned about?

Is he off the lead too much ?

Thanks in advance

Get it lamping.... :thumbs:

My Lurcher is currently 18 weeks old. I walk the lurcher with my other jack russell twice a day for a good hour in the morning and a good hour in the evening.

The lurcher has come along really well. He's good with livestock, recalls very well. Walks to heel, good on/off the lead and all the stuff he should be doing. He just seems to a little bit relaxed when it comes to quarry. I wont purposely put him on quarry, but if the odd pheasant or rabbit jumps out at him, he does have the right idea to chase them. However he seems very hit or miss with them, and what I mean by that is that sometimes he sees quarry and just wants the chase, other times he's just more interested in the smells of the field and a long branch and ignores them. Is this his age or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance

Get it lamping.... :thumbs:

even at this age mate?

Sometimes people may come across as harsh mate ,but saying they know nothing about dogs,when you are asking advice about hunting an 18weeks old pup is slightly ironic,but won't get you then help you need.

Maybe looking into it a bit deeper before potentially ruining a pup,May have been a.better option.

But all means get it out and about,but actively chasing rabbits at.that age is a sure way of getting a yapper, hope this help atb

Edited by roybo

Thanks in advance

imo you can keep walking the pup mate you aint doing it any harm, its interest in quarry sometimes and not others is nothing to worry about (at least you know it has some interest). when it does run something its only a game to the pup he aint really hurting itself, its not as though you are pushing it to chase quarry

being of the lead and finding its own way aint a bad thing either imo

• Like 1