Whippet In Kennel

Why not just put a kennel jacket on a whippet instead of heating. Good insulated kennel and kennel jacket. Don't use any heating for my beddy/whip.

suppose you could do that :thumbs: , but heat lamp no big deal I don't think. I had none ped bitch 20in 20lb tough little bugger, but did feel the cold. I keep my dogs in warm kennels with shredded-wax paper , but both have thick coats anyway. most lurchers will be warm with good grub and kennel similar to mine etc, but we talking whippets that carry no body fat for a start, if it was mine would use my heat lamp (red bulb) if it was outside. :yes:

DSCN0125_zpsa934416e.jpg

• Like 1

Get a tube heater costs a penny an hour in electric and make sure sleeping area is draft and damp free and make sure the sleeping area is big enough so the dog is comfortable but not so big that the area would be to big to keep warm, whippets do not do well in the cold but the best way to know if the kennel is suitable is if you imagine yourself sleeping in it if you think its warm and comfortable then so will even the thinest coated and skinny whippet. Dont listen to people who say being warm makes them soft thats bollocks being cold for to long will make them soft any important fat reserves will be gone and eventually when theres nothing else to shiver away muscle will diminish and then when thats gone most probably the dog will literally freeze to death.

• Like 3

Get a tube heater costs a penny an hour in electric and make sure sleeping area is draft and damp free and make sure the sleeping area is big enough so the dog is comfortable but not so big that the area would be to big to keep warm, whippets do not do well in the cold but the best way to know if the kennel is suitable is if you imagine yourself sleeping in it if you think its warm and comfortable then so will even the thinest coated and skinny whippet. Dont listen to people who say being warm makes them soft thats bollocks being cold for to long will make them soft any important fat reserves will be gone and eventually when theres nothing else to shiver away muscle will diminish and then when thats gone most probably the dog will literally freeze to death.

:thumbs::yes:

I have a 2 x4ft tube heaters , thinks their around 280watts , so don't cost alot , I think if the whippets could talk ,they vote to have heating in winter , lol . Makes things a lot easier and cleaner than having straw and that IMO . But each to their own .

there tidy dogs everyone i speak to keep them inside,i would put a heat lamp in myself i know a few lads who do this,i do have one pal of mine who has a bull breed when i seen it ion winter it had a body like greyhound now summers here its full of bumps and muscle i told him its too cold and his set up was shit for the dog hes sorted it now better box and feeds last thing at night too.

Just get a lamp buddy just imagine if you came out and the poor dog froze to death i couldnt live with me sen you will only use it 4 months a year anyway id say.

ATB

spot on ,brilliant post .atb bunnys.