Mouse Trap For Moles?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using a little nipper mouse

trap to catch moles. If the base (trigger plate) was set flush with the bottom of the tunnel surely it would trigger it just the same, or am I missing something obvious! If it worked 2 could be set just like a dufus trap.

• Like 1

When I set a tunnel trap I cover it with a lid to stop sheep etc putting their feet into it.

I've made some lids up to 2 1/2" deep for shallow runs so as not to foul the arms, and painted them red for ease of finding. I also fix them down with wire pegs so they dont get kicked off.

blast from the past this....when i was a lad i used to try and use them and the four in a bag pound land traps for moles set as you say but dammed if i even caught one!.................. untill i cut a strip of 14 inch mesh so it was like teeth and attached it to the snapping arm and caught ONE in months of trying...and that was my first mole....unless you count the "ferreted" mole but thats a another story

Well I think I'll give it a go just for curiosity sake.I'll make sure the trigger plate is set lower than the run so the mole doesnt just try to shove it out the way, and I,ll set one for each direction.

I'll post how I get on.

• Like 1

It's simple. A dufus/tunnel trap pulls the loop up though air apart from the centimetre of loose earth on top by which point the loop has the momentum to penetrate the earth easily enough as the spring is strong enough and designed to do so.

The mouse trap spring is only designed to propel the arm through air. It isn't designed to deal with low hanging sods of turf. It's not been designed for the job in hand and isn't marketed as a mouse/mole trap and leaves so many options for an inhumane catch..

Horses for courses.

I like to see how you'll seat the trap in the tunnel so as not to raise suspicion from Mr Mole and replace the tunnel without fouling the mechanism. How high does the trip arm stand when it is perpendicular to the trap base as that is how high off of the trap the tunnel seal will have to go without fouling on the swing arm once the trap is triggered?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using a little nipper mouse

trap to catch moles. If the base (trigger plate) was set flush with the bottom of the tunnel surely it would trigger it just the same, or am I missing something obvious! If it worked 2 could be set just like a dufus trap.

No offence,but i just dont see the point,of this.............

• Like 1

I would advise against trialing mouse traps for the capture of moles. You could very well fall foul of the Animal welfare act.

Mouse traps - even the best made have relatively weak springs that are fit for purpose on mice, but have a look at a mole its physique is completely different with a very powerful neck and shoulders. A mouse trap is not going to be 'man enough' to humanely kill a mole.( I have had good size wood mice not killed on a couple of occasions by quality traps on occasion when caught over the shoulders so there is no way a mole will be killed. The kill bar is also going to be impeded by the resistance of the soil making impact even slower and weaker.

We all have a responsibility to treat all quarry/pests with due respect and use the appropriate tool for the job and ensure we aim for a quick and humane death in all cases.

There are organisations looking to get legislation tightened on the use of mole traps that will have ramifications on all current trapping practices and actions such as proposed above will only add to their arguments.

T

• Like 2

There are organisations looking to get legislation tightened on the use of mole traps that will have ramifications on all current trapping practices and actions such as proposed above will only add to their arguments.

T

Not quite correct fella :no:

There is one organisation, that has gone running off to the RSPCA to claim that pest controllers are all evil for not agreeing to 24 hour trap checking for rat mouse and mole traps.

Their motives are unknown, but widely speculated upon.

To the original poster, I'd just ask, why?

In answer to the question Why?, just plain curiosity. I'm not trying to advocate the use of mouse type traps, just discussing if anyone had ever tried one for moles.

If you don't ask the questions, you will never learn.

Thanks for the comments guys.

T

Not quite correct fella :no:

There is one organisation, that has gone running off to the RSPCA to claim that pest controllers are all evil for not agreeing to 24 hour trap checking for rat mouse and mole traps.

Their motives are unknown, but widely speculated upon.

To the original poster, I'd just ask, why?

Not the only ones running of to the RSPCA?