Permission To Shoot , Rabbits , Pigeons , Any Vermin .

I tried that this morning, am struggling,but I will persist,but am new to this site so just feeling my feet .I've used some ground in the past rabbiting but a but city folk have bought the farm as a holiday bolt hole and it seems they want to protect every creature from field sports enthusiasts , but I here they are now over run with rabbits , part of the house has structural damage and grey squirrel have decieded to throw a party in there loft and have envited there mates . I used to repair all the stone walls , build and fit bat and bird boxes all around the woods , it does annoy me the views some people have on country matters and life, when really they are striving to fit in with the tweed jackets and Chelsea tracktors but don't want to engage in the age old hunting traditions of old Blighty,as they would rather pay to have the creatures poisend and trapped to the extent where there is not a healthy balance of creatures as the fella doing this work will kill everything around as long as he is being paid and justifies it as they are vermin.With the likes of a good respectable fieldsportsman who will will not eradicate any area of rabbits,squirrels etc but. Leave some for another day and to keep the food chain healthy for the Fox, and birds of pray. Sorry to go on people but am passionate about the environment , and I am glad to have found this site, am struggling to navigate it, but will get there lol

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Sadly mate the only way is word of mouth and or joining a club, door knocking is imperative and I have spent 4-5hrs plus in one afternoon knocking all farmyards and barns in the hope of getting some.

Get basc insured and possibly find someone near to you that can take you out as an apprentice basicly...just remember its not all about you...its about the service your going to provide.

Seriously, the only way is door knocking I'm afraid, go looking respectable, take proof you're insured (if you don't have insurance get it) and most importantly ask what you can do to help them, ie control pests, rather than ask for permission to walk around their property with a gun or dogs as a bit of a lark for you! Its also worth making the offer of helping out with odd jobs around the farm or estate etc at busy periods or if labours thin on the ground. Best of all try to get in with any of the local gamekeepers and volunteer for days beating if you haven't already done so, even if they have no permission to offer they will likely know of people that do and be in a position to recommend you to them. I'm speaking as a farmer as well as a shooter so I do understand both sides and I guarantee you that if you can offer a free service to most farmers/ estate managers you stand a better chance of gaining a permission rather than phrasing it in such a way that they think you're asking for a bit of free sport. Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a ramble but its been a long day and the ice cold ciders are slipping down rather well. :)

• Like 1