Tips On Recall

Hello hunting folk i have recently bought a new terrier, she is just coming up to about 8 months so still fairly young. What i want to ask is does anyone have any tips on recall because when i take her to anywhere that has rabbits ect i find it very hard in getting her to come back and also she tends to be very hyper when she is hunting but maybe that is because she is still young. she does not hunt to far ahead its just i can not stop her when were out. I have tried giving her a treat when ever she comes back when we are over the park and that seems to work its just when there is game about she is frantic through the cover ect. any tips would be great, atb daywalker.

I found when mine were young they seemed to go through a period of ignorance......especially one particular one if she knew I was heading back to the car she was off. It's good been very keen but it still needs to be controlled otherwise each walk out is a pain in the neck. Me, I would take it no where near any rabbits till next season if that's at all possible and just work at some simple recall/bonding and all that sort of stuff and then slowly reintroduce and recall regularly just to drill it in. I've found they do listen much better when there a little older if worked on when younger. It's just young and keen, but also saying that type of terrier and lines it's from can also play a big factor as well. That's why I find little old fashioned jack russels great for bushing especially if they have come from pet lines, because they still have plenty of hunt instinct for bushing rabbits, but not too driven and too deaf, but saying that mine still drives me mad on occasions, never the less she's very focused and I still need to be aware of what she's doing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys fellas, she's a good little dog considering her age but she really goes deaf when she hits a scent and i don't want her to end up like my other dog, she was run down recently tracking a deer. I will have to work on recall this summer so hopefully by next season she will be more responsive. thanks again and atb daywalker. [ps buster i will try and get some pics of her up as soon as i work out how, computer has been playing up recently]