The bull greyhound is good at what it is bred for (teeth).

The saluki grey hares and the collie grey greyhound is a Jack of all trades master at none although they are good at rabbits. Bedlington whippet the ultimate ferret man's dog along with the whippet

A lurcher is pretty much a multi tasking dog which I would never be without

Edited by dogmad riley
  • Like 2

sandymere,

Can ask you what that cross you just mentioned up above has that say a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie doesn't have and how it could benefit anybody in your country?

In truth not a lot, a good 3/4 grey collie is pretty good and would be a decent type for a 1st timer, or old hand for that matter, but a touch of deerhound brings a bit of extra size, that’s fast but not over the top heart in mouth stuff. Plus I find the deerhound brings a more settled temperament, easier to live with and bit more affinity to bigger stuff which could be usful in Ireland

Summed that up very nicely, as long as you don't expect them to be top flight ferreting dogs, I don't think there are many types to match them, especially as versatile, R H F D, pre ban, lamp dogs :thumbs:

• Like 1

Story!
New to the site - great work and some great and interesting discussions going on.
I am new on the lurcher scene although I have had gun dogs all my life. I have heading out with a few lurcher men on the lamp after rabbits and foxes and since then I have been dead set on getting my own lurcher. I do some deer stalking also and would like a dog/bitch to accompany me on those outings. ( I also rough shoot and go hunting on foot)
My question is - is there such thing as a preferred lurcher for a fella staring out? A dog or a bitch?
The lads I head out with all seem to have different opinions - each working different dogs/bitches; bull/greyhound, collie/hound, wheaton/hound
I like the look and drive of a bull/hound.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
IJF

try a male bullx greyx salukix grey then , they good rep as fox dogs and other quarry, bitches are ok but in gen dogs are bit more tougher as a norm .

Owned and seen some hard bitches,just my experiance not found dogs any tougher.

Story!
New to the site - great work and some great and interesting discussions going on.
I am new on the lurcher scene although I have had gun dogs all my life. I have heading out with a few lurcher men on the lamp after rabbits and foxes and since then I have been dead set on getting my own lurcher. I do some deer stalking also and would like a dog/bitch to accompany me on those outings. ( I also rough shoot and go hunting on foot)
My question is - is there such thing as a preferred lurcher for a fella staring out? A dog or a bitch?
The lads I head out with all seem to have different opinions - each working different dogs/bitches; bull/greyhound, collie/hound, wheaton/hound
I like the look and drive of a bull/hound.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
IJF

try a male bullx greyx salukix grey then , they good rep as fox dogs and other quarry, bitches are ok but in gen dogs are bit more tougher as a norm .

Owned and seen some hard bitches,just my experiance not found dogs any tougher.

Thanks Johnny2

I will be getting a bitch

The bull greyhound is good at what it is bred for (teeth).

The saluki grey hares and the collie grey greyhound is a Jack of all trades master at none although they are good at rabbits. Bedlington whippet the ultimate ferret man's dog along with the whippet

A lurcher is pretty much a multi tasking dog which I would never be without

Thanks Dogmad, I dont have and go out with fellas who have ferrets so a bigger lurcher is what I have in mind - hare, foxes and and a dog to accompany me deer stalking (I tend to forget my rifle on some of these excursions)

sandymere,

Can ask you what that cross you just mentioned up above has that say a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie doesn't have and how it could benefit anybody in your country?

In truth not a lot, a good 3/4 grey collie is pretty good and would be a decent type for a 1st timer, or old hand for that matter, but a touch of deerhound brings a bit of extra size, that’s fast but not over the top heart in mouth stuff. Plus I find the deerhound brings a more settled temperament, easier to live with and bit more affinity to bigger stuff which could be usful in Ireland

Summed that up very nicely, as long as you don't expect them to be top flight ferreting dogs, I don't think there are many types to match them, especially as versatile, R H F D, pre ban, lamp dogs :thumbs:

Thanks Sandymere,

Appreciate the advise

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a wheaten x greyhound. There's a lot of people who wouldn't have one but I think there very under rated. Not too big and heavy like a bull cross but definitly just as game. Hits all quarry no problem. Good nose.. Don't like to big my own dogs up but he is a good all round dog. If i was to recommend another cross I would without a doubt say a collie cross. Hands down.