Tuning? Whats That All About Then?

Hey guys,

I keep hearing about ppl on here and other sites getting there springers tuned. At first I though this was purely to increase power to FAC level but this isn't the case. I hear talk of sleeving springs and setting trigger weight etc etc with the end goal of a more consistent firing and therefore grouping.

I was hoping that a few of the vastly knowledgeable ppl on here could help me out with a few questions.

1) I'm shooting an HW 77K, I don't have an FAC therefore no power increase, so what kind of tuning should I be considering?

2) I suppose this question and number 1 are almost the same, what are the different options for tuning and what benefits should I expect for each procedure?

3)My grouping is pretty bloody good if I do say so myself, I have only been shooting for a few months but I'm getting the hang of the springer recoil etc. So I suppose the main question is do I need my rifle tuning at all? Some ppl have told me that without upping the power with the way I'm shooting it, I'de be wasting my money.

I hope the questions make sense and that anyone reading them can understand what I'm asking, its very difficult to ask appropriate and completely insightful questions on a subject you know nothing about. I'm really looking forward to some replies as its something that's niggling away at the back of my mind constantly.

Thank you in advance for any informative answers.

ATB, Steve.

• Like 1

Sorry, Its me again,

Just to say that I live in Swindon so if tuning is the way to go, does anyone know of a tuner/gunsmith that's good with Weihrauch rifles in Wiltshire.

Thanks again,

Steve.

Plenty to be done really ideally to get it shooting consistant as poss even a simple strip / clean up polishing work on piston and compression chamber and new piston washer and breech seal is a good start

can mess about with diffrent materials pre loads top hats etc

a good trigger clean polish is another good one but dont go to mad as will make it dangerous even a little knock to loaded gun could make it go off with too much polishing

but a nice smooth trigger will result in beter shooting

i absolutely love tinkering with springers as much as shooting them

even diffrent greases can make a difference but avoid oils as will diesel and ruin consistency

• Like 1

Sorry, Its me again,

Just to say that I live in Swindon so if tuning is the way to go, does anyone know of a tuner/gunsmith that's good with Weihrauch rifles in Wiltshire.

Thanks again,

Steve.

Not you again lol

I've always wondered the same and always thought it because it was an older gun that due to wear and tear things become less consistent ???

But I have seen posts / treads / topics on people buying a brand new gun then getting it tuned. ?? What's all that about any gun maker I'm sure would want their products as good and as consistent as they can to get the best reviews as they can't to increase the chances of selling ??

Plenty to be done really ideally to get it shooting consistant as poss even a simple strip / clean up polishing work on piston and compression chamber and new piston washer and breech seal is a good start

can mess about with diffrent materials pre loads top hats etc

a good trigger clean polish is another good one but dont go to mad as will make it dangerous even a little knock to loaded gun could make it go off with too much polishing

but a nice smooth trigger will result in beter shooting

i absolutely love tinkering with springers as much as shooting them

even diffrent greases can make a difference but avoid oils as will diesel and ruin consistency

Would this be done on a well used gun or from new ??

There are loads of tuning kits available for the HW and plenty of info on here and the rest of the web on how to fit them.

I don't believe any are better than others and most will achieve similar results provided you fit them correctly.

Some good advice from experience by matty there and there are loads of other lads on here who tinker and I'm sure will offer you advice.

IF you are looking for a kit then trawl the forums and read the reviews to make your own mind up :thumbs:

Don't be a sheep :no:

Either really bud ive bought some right dog rough springers and transformed them to better than new ones ive bought as long as piston and compression tube are not kaput its normally possibleto get them shooting great

im still pretty new to tuning but loving learning more

Im picking a old 77 in next day or two its rusty as hell and needs a stock refinish will be fully stripping it and polishing and re sealing if you want il keep you updated with pics and info to help with your project :)

Edited by mattybugeye
  • Like 7

WXM :yes: the factory Finnish of new HW's in some cases is shocking. Standards have slipped in the QC dept.

2nd that heard alot of bad news on the newer versions think odd lemon is slipping through but like anything there will probably be good in with bad the older versions seem far better for build quality our tom had a old hw 80 and was built like a tank shot absolutely fantastic too

My new 2013 hw77k was rough out of the box. I gave it a quick clean and relube with the right grease and now its 'ok' could get it a lot smoother and firing better if i wanted to. It groups just as good as my hw100 and hw98 ( tuned) at 34 yards when i do my bit, almost pellet on pellet- but havent really tested it further

Smoother shot cycle and nice trigger makes accuracy slightly easier to achieve. But all hw's are more accurate than the human controling them

• Like 1

WXM :yes: the factory Finnish of new HW's in some cases is shocking. Standards have slipped in the QC dept.

Agreed. But it also goes for most manufacturers including Air Arms who I reckon through cut backs have sacked their whole quality control department lol. However to most new people these rifles will be fine and fit for purpose. The more seasoned air gunner or perfectionist will always find a way to improve on what they have purchased.

For me I remember how springers were built back in the early 90's and the ones being churned out these days don't compare. For me I will always try and improve a new purchase. In answer to your question though tuning on the whole just means making the rifle smoother or more fit for purpose which all leads to greater accuracy as the rifle becomes less hold sensitive or less recoil. If you can produce good groups then it's up to you if you want to waste money. For me I always strive for perfection with my rifles. That holy grail. My shooting partner uses a rifle that's 20 years old and it is flawless just how they used to make them back in the day. And until yesterday had never been opened up or worked on. Get this though it still has the original spring and internals and the same factory grease. That's testament to the build quality of years gone by.

New rifles these days almost certainly benefit from a strip down as soon as you get them home to strip the poor grease the factory uses and regrease with good stuff.

Mawders

• Like 1

Again true I just did a 2012 hw97k after not a great deal of internal work basically seals and good polish and clean re grease was a completly diffrent gun very accurate and very Little re coil

only sold to buy a verminator / gladiator I wish I didn't bother buying its still with gunsmiths 3 weeks on leaking like a siv 200 pound bill so far and still not got it back !!!! Should of stuck with my hw!!!!

I had a hw97k that was fitted with a full v mach kit or so i thought until it started twanging and marksman stripped it for me at the shooting range and the piston seal was not v mach so one was ordered and fitted by vislauk then tuned by marksman every thing stripped and polished now when the new v mach seal was fitted she was shooting out at just under 14 fp so back to darryl (marksman) who did his magic and she settled at a constant 11,02 she is one of the best iv ever had (im not saying that she is better than eny other rifle )apart from the famous CROW SPORT witch was brand new and went strait from the shop to the range and then to marksmans to be tuned i get most of my rifles tuned by Darryl he is a top lad and so is vislauk both all ways willing to help the lads on here and the only two i let touch my rifles.Every one that shoots the hw97 cant bi-leave that there is hardly eny recoil from the rifle when fired so tuning reduces the recoil, smooths every thing out ,and the makes the trigger lighter to squeeze (but this can be done eny way on eny hw via the trigger screw)and makes it smoother to load when pulling the under leaver or barrel if a brake barrel down.I must say i do like the way they shoot after tuning than before atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sorry, Its me again,

Thanks again,

Steve.

Try getting along to www.barburyftc.com just outside Swindon on a Sunday.

Several people on this forum myself included are members there and shoot a range of tuned HW springers. If I'm there you would be welcome to try my SFS tuned HW97 or HW98.

• Like 2