Got to agree with how deadly buzzers can be on still waters esp under a bite indicator.. but I've also had quite a bit of success fishing a similar idea on the rivers... a weighted nymph fished off/under a klinkhammer, had some good days on the early Grayling using this method.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if I need to use a bung i'll just stick a fab on the point with a team of 2 or 3 buzzers below it. the last year i've fished buzzers a lot more and I've certainly caught more. Ive also been fishing sm

Here's a little story for you: I've been fly fishing for over thirty years and after all that time sometimes you still get stumped by the trout. My mate had invited me up onto his local upland reserv

Many years ago I read a book that changed the way I fished completely, and improved the amount of fish I was catching. Up until that time I had stuck to the perceived wisdom of if its cold go deep, if

Posted Images

Some of mine. I like to fish a slim buzzer under a foam headed buzzer.

I remember when those foam headed buzzers first became popular, polystyrene ball wrapped in a bit of the wife's tights, then tying them at different angles to the hook to get the hook to lay at different positions in the water. Ooh those were the days, we would try anything. :yes:

TC

I've caught LOADS of trout with those poly buzzers, times when they wouldn't take anything else but them. Even had a few last summer on them.

I found them good in flat calms when the trout were taking emerging buzzers. Degrease the last 2 ft of leader cast it out and just give the occasional twitch to the line with your finger. They worked well.

TC

• Like 1

I remember when those foam headed buzzers first became popular, polystyrene ball wrapped in a bit of the wife's tights, then tying them at different angles to the hook to get the hook to lay at different positions in the water. Ooh those were the days, we would try anything. :yes:

TC

I've caught LOADS of trout with those poly buzzers, times when they wouldn't take anything else but them. Even had a few last summer on them.

These the same as the CDC Emergers JD?

TC

Same idea, just one floats under apply ball & the other under duck cdc feather

TC

What do you mean youre stretching my tights over your balls :laugh:

• Like 1

TC

TC

CDC sit lower in the film, but they're good. :victory:

• Like 1

Well not really fishing or not, I like catching fish, so will use whatever method I can, to go home with a fish or two for the pot,as we have said earlier, fishing a dry fly is perhaps the most exiting and purist form of fluff chucking, but when I have spent a tenner on fuel, and fifteen quid on a ticket, I am damn well going to do everything I can to be successful :yes: Would people agree that generally the scruffier/hairy type buzzer are most successful when fished closer to the surface, and the sleeker, superglue/epoxy kinds lower down in the water, this is certainly what I have found as a general rule?

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 2

Well not really fishing or not, I like catching fish, so will use whatever method I can, to go home with a fish or two for the pot,as we have said earlier, fishing a dry fly is perhaps the most exiting and purist form of fluff chucking, but when I have spent a tenner on fuel, and fifteen quid on a ticket, I am damn well going to do everything I can to be successful :yes: Would people agree that generally the scruffier/hairy type buzzer are most successful when fished closer to the surface, and the sleeker, superglue/epoxy kinds lower down in the water, this is certainly what I have found as a general rule?

There are no rules in fishing except what the fishery put up and the EA law. Other than that it's all down to how the fish want it.

The vast majority of fish I've taken on a suspender buzzer are tied as a skinny buzzer. If they don't take that then i swap to a shipman's tied with a foam core or a deer hair body and coloured with a marker pen - unsinkable and you can re-cast all day with them knowing it will still sit the same in the surface.

One of the best sessions I ever had was during a winter snow shower. I was dropping a suspender buzzer in that was just a skinny black body of varnished thread and a folded piece of yellow foam tied on just behind the eye. No matter where you plonked the fly within seconds it was taken. The fly got stripped down to a bare hook with just the foam on and they were still taking it with vigour. I don't know if the little ripples from the landing snow flakes stimulated the fish into a frenzy but it was ridiculous fishing.

I've had some strange sessions on stuff you wouldn't expect such as floatant on a PTN, a may fly fished wet and a damsel nymph fished dry. These have all occurred through various accidents such as stripping the mayfly in to change the fly only to get a great ruddy bow wave behind it. Re-cast just to make sure and repeated the retrieve and another bow wave. Got some floatant on the PTN by accident and it wouldn't sink so left it to soak up some liquid whilst I looked through my box for another to change to and off it went. Re-cast, nymph on the top and bang, another rise and another fish. The same with the damsel.

There is no better feeling than when you nail exactly what it is they are after and you can stalk fish with a traditional fur and feather fly. Made even better when it's a fly you've tied yourself - from vice to plate.

When buzzers are near or on the surface they are hatching and get little pockets of air when their skin splits. A thorax made of animal hair also traps air so gives the fish the illusion of a hatching buzzer.

When you have a flat calm the buzzer cannot pierce the surface film so it dives and accelerates towards the surface film trying to penetrate it. When that happens you usually see fish just bow waving as they are taking the buzzers suspended just below the surface. That is how the draw works you are copying the buzzers sinking and accelerating towards the surface.

TC

• Like 1

I've had some good sessions using holographic buzzers when there's a bit of sun about, I think the flash of the holographic material catches the trouts attention. Another of my favourites is a skinny black pennell with just a beard hackle, though its not strictly a buzzer its worked well for me when there hatching off. Just got to get round to tying some up now my fly box is looking a bit sparse at the moment.