Choosing A Pcp - Now Air Arms S400 Or Bsa Ultra

Right been looking at lots of reviews and technical data and the more you search the more you get pros and cons that leaves someone like me a bit more confused coming from the springer era as to what is best for me. So here are some questions you may be able to shed some light on.

With my limited budget I was initially intending to go for a BSA Ultra .177 single shot (£301 best price I've seen - but images show older non-bolt action gun?) and get a decent pump with moisture trap (any recommendations?). I would then use the scope from my FWB Sport 127 until I can purchase a newer model and done some review of options as to scope choice (again feel free to offer advice).

Then I liked the look of the Air Arms S400 Classic and the reviews are very favourable. The best new price I've found for this was £410 and did have the option of 0% over 12 months. Now due to accessibility to dive shops I would need to go the pump route and yet again there were mixed reviews on using a pump for the Air Arms (those in the know please comment?). If I was going the Air Arms route or for that matter any pcp and I did eventually go the bottle route how many gun fills for each gun could I get from a standard bottle.

My standard shooting would be walking from the house and shooting small fields and copses mainly for rabbits, pigeons and corvids (and the occasional mink from our river).

Thank you for your patience from a pcp newbie.

Chris

I have the AA s400. Epic rifle, not too heavy but not too light either, very well balanced. Imo.

I use the pump(fx three stage pump) does the job nicely, you don't need to be super fit to use it either.

I have the magazine conversion on it where you index the next pellet with your thumb so it good for in the field or remove it for single shot at the range or hft.

Never shot the multi shot but own an bsa r10, so can't comment on the multi shot. But if it's anything like the r10 you won't go wrong.

ATB.

Both the BSA and the Air arms are both great air rifles. The BSA is OK but its a Swine to strip/ repair. The AA classic is a full length rifle and is capable of more shots in its Classic length. But the AArms Carbine is much better to strip/repair, You pays your money and get what you pay for. For me the AA 400 outstrips the S/S Ultra. Good luck. :yes:

Hi Iv got a AA s400 classic it's a brilliant rifle , no pushing buttons at the front to charge next pellet . Pull back the bolt load and shoot

On the other hand if your going to be shooting out of a vehicle then the BSA ultra is smaller in length and lighter

Good luck :)

Great response guys and much appreciated.

So now I need to go and check out these rifles in the flesh (including the S200 - thanks for the heads up Timmytree). Just need to find a suitable gunshop in the Somerset area (or Dorset Devon borders) - any suggestions? Or further afield as a friend is a RFD so delivery will be okay.

Chris

Avalon Guns .........Street.

Sportsman Gun Centre...........Clay Pigeon.

Sport Arm............Dorchester.

Bartletts Dorset Ltd..............Bridport

Dont forget I have the R-10 here, You can look ............... but cant touch...... :D

I have the newer bolt type bsa ultra (has no front charging button etc) and although I've only just got it bedded in with about 400 shots through the barrel, its performing well for me. Took 3 clean head shots on some bunnies last week 10m, 30m and 50m roughly. Super light, easy to shoulder and comfy. Short barrel makes it a little noisy without a moderator, I have a SAK mod on it which makes it silent at 20m in the open. Not used the aa s400 just thought you'd like my take on the newer ultra single shot.

Great response guys and much appreciated.

So now I need to go and check out these rifles in the flesh (including the S200 - thanks for the heads up Timmytree). Just need to find a suitable gunshop in the Somerset area (or Dorset Devon borders) - any suggestions? Or further afield as a friend is a RFD so delivery will be okay.

Chris

If you can get your self up to Dorset you can have a go on a few of mine

• Like 1

Cheers Rik,

I forgot about Bartletts down at Bridport and looking at their website they stock the Air Arms and BSA guns so be good to compare. Maybe I'll cycle down to West Bay again to pick up some more nets on my annual 60 mile round trip now that the tunnel has re-opened. Probably get down there next week during the school holidays. Do you want to try some longnetting soon? or an evening out with the rifles? Going to get the crayfish traps set soon and hit the brown trout next week.

Also thanks for the offer Villaman I may take you up on that offer if I still can't make my mind up and Rik won't let me touch his R10!

Chris

Cheers Rik,

I forgot about Bartletts down at Bridport and looking at their website they stock the Air Arms and BSA guns so be good to compare. Maybe I'll cycle down to West Bay again to pick up some more nets on my annual 60 mile round trip now that the tunnel has re-opened. Probably get down there next week during the school holidays. Do you want to try some longnetting soon? or an evening out with the rifles? Going to get the crayfish traps set soon and hit the brown trout next week.

Also thanks for the offer Villaman I may take you up on that offer if I still can't make my mind up and Rik won't let me touch his R10!

Chris

Longnets,Crays Rifles,Trout im up for anything, just let me know.I would of joined you on your Tour de Bridport but I have a feeling I have got a slow puncture...... :whistling: