Found A Good And Convenient Way Of Getting Vegetables And Natural Vitamins Into The Dogs

Natures menue do bags of mixed veg n fruit in frozen cubes, i registered as a breeder with them and buy it in bulk its cheaper they deliver it to the door, i put a couple of cubes in with the meat every day. saves me time n hassel. u can get it in pets at home if u only go one or two dogs to feed.

To expand on the above.

Chemicals that are effective are one that the animal has evolved to utilise so it must be readily available in their natural environment or diet or be produced by the body itself for them to undertake that evolutionary adaption, ie pain killers are in the main copies of chemicals we produce naturally in our bodies, just given in stronger doses. So we are adapted to utilise certain micronutrients (vitamins, minerals etc) gained from our diet. When these are given in pill form they don’t seem to work as well if at all. In many cases they are not even supplied in a form that is used by the body so it is excreted unused. There are exceptions of course but the average cocktail of a multivitamin/mineral supplement just gets pissed out = expensive PEE.

The problem is that the whole basis of multivitamin/mineral supplementation was based on the fact that people/ animals that eat a healthy vitamin rich diet lived longer healthier lives than their less well fed brethren. So the theory went, vitamins, minerals would help keep people healthy, this was expanded when oxidation damage was seen with the idea that oxidative damage could be alleviated by anti oxidant vitamins which would reduce damage so giving better health. All sounds good and so science started to test the theory, it’s what science dose test theories. In the mean time the sellers of vitamins etc started selling the proposed health benefits of their product and it became excepted knowledge.

Alas the theory doesn’t seem to be standing up as the results of the tests come in; instead it would seem that oxidative damage is all part of healing. Without the reaction to the damage there is reduced healing and anti oxidative vitamins reduce the reaction to the damage and so reduce healing/recovery. Plus high dose vitamins don’t seem to have the health benefits of good diet, certainly they don’t increase health or longevity and in some cases may well have the opposite effect. These is a good case for particular supplements for individuals who have absorption problems or for cases like vitamin D, for those who don’t get outside enough, but in general vitamin supplementation likely does more harm than good. It certainly does not replace a good diet and if the diet is lacking a pill isn’t the answer, sorting the diet is.

So adding vegetables etc to the diet supplies vitamins and minerals in a form that dogs, humans etc have evolved to utilise, supplementation doesn’t.

i boil the vegies down and don't tip the water out as i think i would be tipping out alot of vitamins and nutrients. i then mix with brown rice and give a serve every day. i also boil a bit of garlic in with the vegies as i have heard it benefits dogs the same as it benefits humans. i would be interested if anyone has any more knowledge on the garlic. atb.

i boil the vegies down and don't tip the water out as i think i would be tipping out alot of vitamins and nutrients. i then mix with brown rice and give a serve every day. i also boil a bit of garlic in with the vegies as i have heard it benefits dogs the same as it benefits humans. i would be interested if anyone has any more knowledge on the garlic. atb.

I read that garlic and onions are poisenous to dogs

I read that garlic and onions are poisenous to dogs
Garlic in sensible doses Is actually good for dogs ... Onions in large amounts can cause Heinz anemia ........

thanks for the replies/ info, seems to be inconclusive though. i have heard garlic is good for dogs but i cannot say i see any noticeable differences, good or bad, in my dogs by giving them garlic. i have never given my dogs onion and i certainly won't either after hearing about it above. thanks and atb.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of veg is common sense :thumbs: , the idea that cooking destroying vitamins etc was a bit oversold, its swings and roundabouts, raw more vitamins but harder to digest, cooked slightly lower vitamins but easier to digest, likely ends up about equal to all intents and purposes. Frozen is good as it tends to hold the vitamins where fresh may be days old so deteriorates plus freezing breaks down the cells helping digestion. Having said all that any veg cooked, raw frozen or fresh as long as its fed regularly will supply plenty of vitamins, minerals and fibre, add meat protein and carbs and can’t go wrong.

I blitz parsnip,,cabbage,carrots,etc in an electric shredder then just add raw to their meat.It's so finely broken down, it is easily digested.

• Like 1