Mole Trapping Some Questions

Hmmmm, I'd like to say, NO COMMENT.... :-)

But I won't.....

There is no legal requirement to check mole traps every day.

How much to charge?

Well, the complicated answer is as much as you need to make it worthwhile... but that's not what you want to know.... Prices vary across the country, with some people charging as little as £5 per mole caught and others much, much more....

Some folks also charge per hour, with £15 being an oft quoted figure (not enough really).

Some go for complicated £x for the first mole, plus a set up fee, plus travelling costs, and subsequent moles at £x per mole.....

Clear as mud eh?

Have a search on this forum.. I've clearly stated what I charge previously as have others, but the consensus of opinion is that it varies from one locality to another.

A (very much) tongue in cheek afterthought would be to say that I'm a molecatcher thinking about doing a bit of farm work in my spare time... how much do you earn?? << just a joke btw!! :)

haha yeah sorry its just locally all our molecatchers are 65+ so some young blood is needed and plus it sort of goes in hand around here with farming as you are able to fit it around farm work.

I hate to say it, but I think you are wrong.

Go and do some proper research! I think you'll find there are more molecatchers (traditional or otherwise) than you realise.....

If you think it's potentially an easy way to step in to an old mans shoes and earn some easy money, then I think you could be in for a shock.

I am a farm worker and my boss today suggested to me that I should take up mole trapping in my spare time now the things I want to know is how often do mole traps need checking? is it a worth while thing to be doing with my spare time and finally what would be a reasonable fee?

ask him, as I presume he wants you catching moles on his land, if he will stump up and buy you 100 or so traps, if so, your only going to loose a few hours, watch some you tube clips and give it a go, if you don't catch, or get bored, its only cost you your time, he won't be miffed about the outlay will he??

if not, tell him to get a professional in, after all, that why you get mole catchers/pest controllers

although I reckon I should try driving a combine harvester, just as a little extra income

• Like 1

Check out the Mole Catchers Guild on the internet and you can also join for free..you will then find out how many Mole Catchers there are in your area... I have been doing it for years caught hundreds and its not easy money.... like when you have fox snares or any trap set you have to check then every day....have a bit of respect. remember Old Lads Rule. take care.

Check out the Mole Catchers Guild on the internet and you can also join for free..you will then find out how many Mole Catchers there are in your area... I have been doing it for years caught hundreds and its not easy money.... like when you have fox snares or any trap set you have to check then every day....have a bit of respect. remember Old Lads Rule. take care.

You DONT have to join the Guild of Jeff lovers to see the molecatchers in your area, and you DONT have to check mole traps every day.

Use google, and check out all of the directory websites to see who is working in your area.

I do not know how you boys keep your cool with the same mundane questions all the time.I know people need advice but come on look threw the posts on moles which there is lots and you will find your answer.My advice is get some traps have a go and take it from their if it is a visual thing you are looking for then get Moleys DVD which explains it all atb Jamie.

• Like 1

jamie, its down to being lazy, its easier to put a post on here asking a question that has bin asked before, rather than go thru old posts, if they cannot be arsed to look thru old posts, they will sharp get sick of checking empty traps or snares, probably ending up in them being abandoned , which makes genuine folk look bad, if the people that keep answering stopped answering , it might just put and end to it,

• Like 1

Check out the Mole Catchers Guild on the internet and you can also join for free..

That says it all really; join for free; you don’t even have to have caught a mole, you certainly don’t have to have a business; obeying the real laws and customer protection rules and regulations that entails.

Guilds are ore organisations like the ‘Worshipful Company of Gunmakers’, with the Halls, Freemen and Livery that entails.

There is certainly not a genuine ‘Livery Company’ for mole catchers I’m afraid. So in my personal opinion the use of the name 'Guild' is misleading.

Is it possible they’re trying to be confused with City & Guilds, a vocational education organisation that has nothing to do with mole catching either?

Glad I got that off my chest :angry:

Actually, now I’m thinking about it, that’s not everything off my chest. So here’s another volley:

A couple of times last year I was accusingly asked “are you an actual Master Mole catcher?” And that’s all to do with the ‘molecatchers guild’ load of cobblers.

As I understand it; a ‘Master,’ taking, for example a Master Goldsmith, is someone who has taught an indentured apprentice through their four or five year apprenticeship, then helped with the apprentices ‘Masterpiece’ at the end of training. All that after going through the same training themselves forty years earlier.

Taking that into consideration; how many people in pest control can honestly have the title ‘Master.’

Sure they exist, but I’ll bet you can count them on your fingers.

I won't do the 'master-baiter' jokes ;)

• Like 1